Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

NoelaniRoy
Frequent Visitor

Trying to Understand Advanced Filtering

Hi all,

This is probably a simple questions, so thank you in advance for your patience.

I am trying to understand how the advanced filter "AND" works.

Let's say I have a the following table:

LetterAnimal
Acat
Adog
Bcat
Bgoat

If I filter the Animal column to "cat", it returns:

LetterAnimal
Acat
Bcat

if I filter the Animal column using advanced filtering to "Show items when the value is "cat" OR is "dog", it returns:

LetterAnimal
Acat
Adog
Bcat

when I filter the Animal column using advanced filtering to "Show items when the value is "cat" AND is "dog", it returns nothing. Why would it not return just A? What am I doing wrong / is there a way to return A using this expandable filter pane?

Thank you very much in advance for your time!

Best,
Noelani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

It returns nothing because an animal cannot be simultaneously a cat and a dog even if both correspond to the letter A. The filtering is on Animal, not on Letter, so it's irrelevant what the letter is.

There are ways to filter like you were expecting using measures but I don't think it can be done directly in the filter pane without defining a new measure.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

It returns nothing because an animal cannot be simultaneously a cat and a dog even if both correspond to the letter A. The filtering is on Animal, not on Letter, so it's irrelevant what the letter is.

There are ways to filter like you were expecting using measures but I don't think it can be done directly in the filter pane without defining a new measure.

Thanks for the speedy reply Alexis. What you said makes sense. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.