Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pundip44
Regular Visitor

This connector requires one or more additional components to be installed before it can be used

I am using the Power BI Desktop (May 2023) reporting server version and cannot seem to connect to MySQL I get a pop error :

"This connector requires one or more additional components to be installed before it can be used"

and I have installed the MySQL Connector NET 8.0.33.1 and tried other versions as well with the same error. 8.0.24 gave me a "Character set not supported" error. How can I connect to a MySQL 8.0 server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @pundip44 

The error message you are seeing is a common issue when trying to connect to MySQL from Power BI Desktop. There are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve this issue.

First, make sure that you have installed the correct version of the MySQL Connector/NET package. You mentioned that you have tried version 8.0.33.1 and 8.0.24, but neither worked. You may want to try version 8.0.26, which is known to work with Power BI Desktop.

Second, make sure that you have enabled the MySQL Connector/NET in Power BI Desktop. To do this, go to File > Options and settings > Options > Security > Data Extensions, and make sure that the MySQL Connector/NET is enabled.

Third, make sure that you have entered the correct connection details for your MySQL server. Double-check the server name, port number, username, and password.

If none of these steps work, you may want to try connecting to your MySQL server using a different method, such as ODBC or OLE DB. You can find more information on how to do this in the retrieved documents.

Tools:: UDL Test - Overview (azure.com)

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @pundip44 

The error message you are seeing is a common issue when trying to connect to MySQL from Power BI Desktop. There are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve this issue.

First, make sure that you have installed the correct version of the MySQL Connector/NET package. You mentioned that you have tried version 8.0.33.1 and 8.0.24, but neither worked. You may want to try version 8.0.26, which is known to work with Power BI Desktop.

Second, make sure that you have enabled the MySQL Connector/NET in Power BI Desktop. To do this, go to File > Options and settings > Options > Security > Data Extensions, and make sure that the MySQL Connector/NET is enabled.

Third, make sure that you have entered the correct connection details for your MySQL server. Double-check the server name, port number, username, and password.

If none of these steps work, you may want to try connecting to your MySQL server using a different method, such as ODBC or OLE DB. You can find more information on how to do this in the retrieved documents.

Tools:: UDL Test - Overview (azure.com)

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.