Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The column either doesn't exist or doesn't have a relationship to any table available

I have 2 tables connected Many to Many relationship using UniqueID. Like this.

emma2002_0-1610575990413.png

My goal is to bring value from 1 table to another by using the following formular.

"Column = if('TaskBaselines (current)'[UniqueID]= RELATED(Assignments[UniqueID]), RELATED(Assignments[ResourceName]))"

if the Unique ID in 2 tables are equal, bring the Resource Name from Assignment table to Taskbaselines table. However, it throws this error "The column 'Assignments[ResourceName]' either doesn't exist or doesn't have a relationship to any table available in the current context.".

Unique Values are string and column i want to bring in Resource Name is string either.
What causes this issue and how could i bring 1 column from one to another table? 
Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 
the simplest option is to create seperate dimension tables for each of the common fields following the method I posted previously (or in Power Query). Having dimension tables in this way makes the model simpler, more efficient and easier to manage when creating visuals, slicers, filters or measures!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
loke
Regular Visitor

create a new calculated column in the desired  table using the below function

The following calculated column defined in the 
Sales table uses the LOOKUPVALUE function to return channel values from the Sales Order table.

CHANNEL = LOOKUPVALUE('Sales Order'[Channel],'Sales Order'[SalesOrderLineKey],[SalesOrderLineKey])

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

why do you need to include a new column. The best practice is to create a dimension table for common fields and use this in filter expressions, slicers, filters etc.

To achieve this, create a Dimension Table (select the otion for "New Table" in the ribbon) for the Unique [ID] fields using:

Dim Unique IDs = 

VAR TaskBaselinesIDs = DISTINCT(TaskBaselines (current) [Unique ID])

VAR AssignmentsIDs = DISTINCT(Assignements [Unique ID])

RETURN
DISTINCT ( UNION ( TaskBaselineIDs, AssignmentsIDs) )

Delete the many to many relationship and join the new Dim Unique IDs table with both the fact tables in one-to-many relationship.

Now use this new table in your visuals, measure, slicer, filters...

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulDBrown Based on your instructions, i could only bring the UniqueID column to new Dimension table. Trying to bring other columns by using "Related" function but it didn't work. How could i achive the common fields to new dimention table?

emma2002_0-1611172719999.png

Also, i deleted "Many to many" relationship and create 1 to many for the new table.

emma2002_1-1611172790158.png

Thank you

@Anonymous 
the simplest option is to create seperate dimension tables for each of the common fields following the method I posted previously (or in Power Query). Having dimension tables in this way makes the model simpler, more efficient and easier to manage when creating visuals, slicers, filters or measures!

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.