Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ADrumheller
Frequent Visitor

Text Box Dynamic Values are hidden when when previous value is blank

Hello all,

This is my first post (mostly due to finding my issues throughout the forums) so if any extra info is needed let me know.

Ive been working on making a text box with a summary of various data so people in the organization can copy and paste in an email (used as a passdown). ive been able to get it to work and get the data i want the only issue is that it seems like if the previous dynamic value is evaluated as blank (no data entered yet) then it wont show any subsequent dynamic values. I looked at a auto generated smart narrative and noticed that it seems to use a "TemplateIdColumnRole" after each section to make the when a value is blank which allows subsequent values to still show. ive tried setting up something similar but it doesnt seem to work. As of now the dynamic values will only start to fill in if the previous values are not blank. 

Looking at the review order if in this example "3526 Tech" was blank then "3526 Case" and "3526 Issue" would not show anything either. 

ADrumheller_0-1637063135238.png

Looking at the auto generated they seem to use a "TemplateIdColumnRole" as a line break and will hide the whole section if the value is blank. This is what seems to hide the section but im not sure (couldnt find anything else).

ADrumheller_1-1637063309603.png

Id assume id need to set somthing up similar but it doesnt seem to work and i havnt seen this issue posted anywhere else. Any help in the general direction would be great.

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ADrumheller,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at the following link about the smart narrative feature if your scenario meets the limitations listed in the document:

Smart narratives tutorial - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Nothing i can see from the limitations, everything does work once all the information is entered the only issue is that when something is blank the rest do not populate. Looking through a auto generated smart narritive it seems like after each section there is a TemplateIdColumnRole and if there is missing information then that whole section is hidden and goes to the next section. si i was hoping to make something similar to hid sections that might have blank data.

HI @ADrumheller,

I tried to change the filter to let the smart narrative variable show blank at first, these dynamic values work and do not reproduce the issue after I change filters. What version of power bi desktop are you testing?

Can you please share a pbix with some dummy data? It should help us clarify your scenario and test to troubleshoot.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

I am using the current version (November 2021). Hopefully you can view this Sample Data, this is the 1st time posting so wasnt sure of the best way to share the file (if this way even works). If you can see the file you can see that in the top right there is a slicer for shifts selecting Day or Grave shows all the data, but when selecting Swing 3559 3560 3561 have no data populating. looking at the table and filtering there is no data from 3559  but there is for 3560 and 3561. So it would seem like because 3559 is missing anything past (in the review dynamic values) wont populate. Thank you for all the help.

HI @ADrumheller,

In fact, I test both October and November versions[Version: 2.99.782.0 64-bit November 2021] power bi desktop with two report files(dummy data and your sample) but both of them work without the value change issues. If you are working with a different version, please try to update to the latest version to confirm if this issue is fixed.

>>Looking at the review order if in this example "3526 Tech" was blank then "3526 Case" and "3526 Issue" would not show anything either. 

I also check the smart narrative queries and find both of them include the filter on the '3526' item. If some filter effect excludes the '3526' item, all the queries which include the same item filter will show the blank because no matched item is left to do the calculations.

Query:
#1, sample table technician By 3526(Machine)
#2, max Sample Table total downtime by 3526 (machine)

Comment:
#1, sample table technician (analysis target field) By(filter keyword) 3526(filter value) Machine(filter target field)
#2, max (calculate max) Sample Table total downtime (analysis target field) by(filter value) 3526(filter value) Machine(filter target field)

Regsards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

In the sample data i sent 3526 is fine, the fault starts to occur after 3559. 3559 is missing data and has nothing show (as i would expect can show what isnt there), but 3560 and 3561 both have there info and are showing blank. below is what i see looking at the sample data. I am using the latest version (had to update for desktop exporting bug).

ADrumheller_1-1637996724756.png

ADrumheller_0-1637996605269.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.