Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

escaparrac

Sync from files from Sharepoint / OneDrive

Hi guys.

In our company, we have some major files that are located on a Sharepoint site. Everyone from several areas updates their weekly reports there, and we pick up the data from there to our PowerBi report.

The problem we are facing is that the files are linked from a local folder path, even if they are cloud-based, and if we want to update the datasets from PowerBi from another PC, I get an error saying that the path is not right.

I tried to use %USERPROFILE% when adding the file, but it says that I don't have the permissions (but then it updated once).

I want to be able to open the Desktop app and update the files from several PCs since several people are working there from different PCs due to remote work.

Summarizing:

I want files located in:
%USERPROFILE%\Sharepoint Folder\Operations\
---> dataset1.xlsx
---> dataset2.xlsx

To be able to be synced from any PC, not having to import all the tables and files again.

Is it possible? I guess yes, but I don't find the option to: add a file from OneDrive / Sharepoint.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tom480
Resolver I
Resolver I

HI there!  We just solved this last week at our organization too.  The issue is the path of the file, you have to use the path to the file in SharePoint and use a web connection.  step 1)  go to the file in OneDrive or SharePoint (from your browser) and click on the three dots and copy link.  step 2)  create a new connect through the web connector.  step 3) authenicate through your organizational account (not windows). step 4) setup your scheduled refreshes and you will enter your credentials for the web connection. Use Oauth2.    This way, anytime anyone updates the files, the scheduled refresh will capture all updates from all users.  Because this is a cloud-based, no gateway is required.  Let me know if that helps!  These are the exact steps we used last week.  Tom

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tom480
Resolver I
Resolver I

@escaparrac - checking in with you.  Did this work for you?  If so please mark as the solution to help others!  Thanks in advance!  Respectfully, Tom

Hi! It really worked!

Sorry for the late reply, we had to change every single data connection and re-do some of the metrics.

Now we have a windows pc acting as a server, scheduling r scripts to update teh raw files, and then powerbi access to that files in the company cloud to update the visualization.

Thanks Tom!

I wish Microsoft made by default that if you chose a Sharepoint file, it just always syncs to it.

PS: @tom480 do you know by any chance how to make the PowerBi report update ifself in case we change some of the files that feed him?

tom480
Resolver I
Resolver I

Great if you need help, ping me.  Glad to walk through something in Teams screenshare.  Tom

tom480
Resolver I
Resolver I

HI there!  We just solved this last week at our organization too.  The issue is the path of the file, you have to use the path to the file in SharePoint and use a web connection.  step 1)  go to the file in OneDrive or SharePoint (from your browser) and click on the three dots and copy link.  step 2)  create a new connect through the web connector.  step 3) authenicate through your organizational account (not windows). step 4) setup your scheduled refreshes and you will enter your credentials for the web connection. Use Oauth2.    This way, anytime anyone updates the files, the scheduled refresh will capture all updates from all users.  Because this is a cloud-based, no gateway is required.  Let me know if that helps!  These are the exact steps we used last week.  Tom

I will try it tomorrow with our Analyst and let you know!

This makes sense, thank you 😄

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.