Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

veakin
Helper II
Helper II

Switch function count

Hi,

I am trying to make a count of the functions below. They all have the same characteristics as in they start with the same thing, as seen below.

I would like it to return count of accounts starting with A, B and C. So in this case 3, 3 and 3. 

I have the following code:

Accounts_TOP = VAR Top_Account_Name = External[TOP_ACCOUNT_NAME] RETURN SWITCH(TRUE(), Top_Account_Name in {"A1","A2","A3"}, "A") Top_Account_Name in {"B1","B2","B3"}, "B") Top_Account_Name in {"C1","C2","C3"}, "C")

17 REPLIES 17
veakin
Helper II
Helper II

Still doesn't return the desired info unfortunately.

The count measure above are counting on name. Right now I have the data in a pivot table with Name in rows and then in the values I have number/amount of value.  

veakin
Helper II
Helper II

Also it still wont accept the space between ""

SEARCH(" ",'Table'[name]&" ")

veakin
Helper II
Helper II

It doesnt work.... It return some completely wrong numbers..

The value function in my dataset is a count of the colomn, so like this:

Robot AS3323
Robot AS5433
Robot AS9891
Robot OP1011
Machine KJ4123
Machine KJ7532
Machine LL1123
Machine LL1301
VehicleHA4311

And then by filtering on count of the code I get:

Robot AS3
Robot OP1
Machine KJ2
Machine LL2
VehicleHA1

I should have stated this before... Sorry

Hi @veakin 

This scenario is easy, you can try this measure [count] and don't need to create other table,

vxiaotang_1-1637200553573.png

count = CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[name]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[name]))

vxiaotang_2-1637200625025.png

If this answer helps, could you accept it as solution? Thanks! 🙂

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

veakin
Helper II
Helper II

Couldn't I make the count function just for the values starting with Robot e.g.? Cuz there are some values without space between, but they also only have one row in the dataset...

With above I could have a function only taking rows containing robot, machine and components if that makes sense and then if the rest of dataset could just stay the same and be shown at the same time.
So this table:

Robot AS3
Robot BS5
Robot KL6
Robot OP10
Machine KJ4
Machine GH7
Machine LL11
Machine TR130
VehicleHA4

Becomes this:

Robot24
Machine152
VehicleHa4

Hi @veakin 

In this scenario, you can use this,

NameList2 = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"name",LEFT('Table'[name],SEARCH(" ",'Table'[name]&" ")-1)))
count2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),LEFT('Table'[name],SEARCH(" ",'Table'[name]&" ")-1)=MIN('NameList2'[name]) ))

vxiaotang_0-1637132050037.png

Best Regards,

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

veakin
Helper II
Helper II

What should the Nonfoundvalue be then?

Hi @veakin 

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I mean you can also add a NotFoundValue to check whether there is no space in some value in your data.

vxiaotang_1-1636625314816.png

To solve the error, the solution is to clean your data firstly if there is no space in Name like bellow, 

vxiaotang_0-1636624635363.png

Best Regards,

veakin
Helper II
Helper II

Its like it sums of correctly but it doesn't distinguish between the values. So it just sums up to 700, without giving any labels.

veakin
Helper II
Helper II

Its the same?

I can't call the function with a space between "" in the search function.. it gives me 'Search wasn't found'

Hi @veakin 

There may be no space in some 'table' [name], check your data.

you can add a NotFoundValue in Search() to check.

vxiaotang_0-1636539068021.png

If this still doesn't solve your problem, is it possible to share your sample file? we will check it.

Best Regards,

v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @veakin 

Is this result similar to what you want?

vxiaotang_0-1636435633142.png

If yes, you can try this,

1. create a table NameList including names, here are 2 ways to create it,

(1) DAX

NameList = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"name",LEFT('Table'[name],SEARCH(" ",'Table'[name])-1)))

(2) in PQ Editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCspPyi9RcAxWitWBcZyQOd4+SBz/ADDHNzE5IzMvVcHbC4Xr7oHC9fFB4YYEgblhqRmZyTmpCh6OKFznMKXYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [name = _t]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "name", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"name.1", "name.2"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"name.1", type text}, {"name.2", type text}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"name.2"}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Duplicates",{{"name.1", "name"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

2. create the measure

count = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),LEFT('Table'[name],SEARCH(" ",'Table'[name])-1)=MIN('NameList'[name]) ))

Best Regards,

Hi,
Thanks for your reply!
The function doesn't seem to work for me.... 
I mean, I can see the function sums up to right amount. But when I plot the values with Name as row, it doesn't display the count as in the picture above.

Namelist = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Cars, "Name of Cars",LEFT('Cars'[NAME OF CARS],SEARCH("",'Cars'[NAME OF CARS])-1)))
Is my code wrong?

Hi @veakin 

Will it help?

vxiaotang_0-1636445538780.png

Namelist = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS('Cars', "Name of Cars",LEFT('Cars'[NAME OF CARS],SEARCH(" ",'Cars'[NAME OF CARS])-1)))

Best Regards,

veakin
Helper II
Helper II

Hmmm.. It doesn't seem to work.
The thing is, I have a table looking like this:

Robot AS3
Robot BS5
Robot KL6
Robot OP10
Machine KJ4
Machine GH7
Machine LL11
Machine TR130
Vehicle HA4
Vehicle CV17

And then I would like a table, that just counts like this:

Robot24
Machine152
Vehicle21
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@veakin , Try like

Accounts_TOP = VAR Top_Account_Name = External[TOP_ACCOUNT_NAME] RETURN SWITCH(TRUE(), left(Top_Account_Name,1) in {"A","B","C"}, left(Top_Account_Name,1))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.