Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gordtulloch

Stacked headers in a PowerBI Table

This seems to be a common thing but none of my searches are bearing fruit - I have a table of values with repeating sets of three columns (term 1, term 2, term 3) that need to be grouped under a stacked header so it looks like this:

+-----------------------------------+----

|                     Reading                   |

+-----------------------------------+----

|     T1        |         T2       |      T3     |

+-----------------------------------+-----

Is there a function in PowerBI to do this? In Excel I'd just create a merged cell from three cells. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Regards,
   Gord

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @gordtulloch ,

Please check if the custom visual Table Sorter is applicable for your scenario.

table sorter.jpg

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@gordtulloch matrix visual will do it, add your group in columns and value in the values section.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I'm sorry I don't follow you - grouping is just static text, so how can I put that in the columns section?

Sorry I don't follow you - the grouping is just static text so how do I put that in the columns section?

@gordtulloch share sample data to understand what you are trying to achieve. Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Here's some sample data:

First Name        Last Name                ELAT1                   ELAT2            ELAT3

Jane                  Doe                              1                           2                     3

Sally                  Student                        3                           3                     3

Output I want is:

ELA Mark

First Name        Last Name          T1      T2     T3

Jane                  Doe                      1        2       3

Sally                  Student                3        3       3

Hi @gordtulloch ,

Please check if the custom visual Table Sorter is applicable for your scenario.

table sorter.jpg

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@gordtulloch your data need transformation to make it work, the solution is attached, heavy lifting is done in power query to transform the data. You can take it from here and tweak it as per your model.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.