Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

trevb
Resolver I
Resolver I

Some ideas for shaping my data.

I've hit my head at this for a while but can't seem to figure it out.  I'm sure there is a really easy way to do this but just can't seem to switch my head to the logic.  I wondered if someone out there can point me in the right direction

I have data that looks like this

ID        Type          Name            2011       2012      2013      2014       2015 

1          A               Test 1            1000       1000      1000      1000       1000

1          B               Test 1B           100        100       1000       100         100

1          B               Test 2B           200        200       200         200         200

1          B               Test 3B           300        300       300         300         300

What I want to do is take away the sum of the type Bs from the type a and return a data set that looks like this

ID        Type          Name            2011       2012      2013      2014       2015 

1          A               Test 1             400        400       400         400         400

1          B               Test 1B           100        100       1000       100         100

1          B               Test 2B           200        200       200         200         200

1          B               Test 3B           300        300       300         300         300

or even just would work for me

1          A               Test 1             400        400       400         400         400

I've thought of lots of things like itterating through the bs and chaning each column into a - version then just summing.  My problem then was itterating through the columns doing that.  I could not seem to get replace to do this.

I've asked a few question like this before and someone always answers with such a simple solution I feel thick as two short planks!  I'm really hoping someone can do that for me again  🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @trevb. Just realized that my code works on a table where the column "Type" has a leading space " Type". Which is a bit suboptimal.

Should have eaten my own dogfood and shipped the code together with the data as described here:

let
Source = Table.PromoteHeaders(Table.FromColumns({ {"ID" ,"1" ,"1" ,"1" ,"1" ,"2" ,"2" ,"2"}, {"Type" ,"A" ,"B" ,"B" ,"B" ,"B" ,"A" ,"C"}, {"Name" ,"Test1" ,"Test1B" ,"Test2B" ,"Test3B" ,"T" ,"Z" ,"TestC"}, {"2011" ,"1000" ,"100" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"100" ,"1"}, {"2012" ,"1000" ,"100" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"500" ,"1000"}, {"2013" ,"1000" ,"1000" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"600" ,"200"}, {"2014" ,"1000" ,"100" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"500" ,"100"}, {"2015 " ,"1000" ,"100" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"600" ,"50"} })),
UnpivotOther = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"ID", "Type", "Name"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
Step1 = Table.TransformColumnTypes(UnpivotOther,{{"Value", type number}}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Step1, each ([Type] <> "A")),
Minus = Table.TransformColumns(#"Filtered Rows", {{"Value", each List.Product({_, -1}), type number}}),
ReplaceType = Table.TransformColumns(Minus,{{"Type", each "A"}}),
Group = Table.Group(ReplaceType, {"ID", "Attribute", "Type"}, {{"Value", each List.Sum([Value]), type number}}),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Step1,{"ID", "Attribute", "Type"},Group,{"ID", "Attribute", "Type"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded NewColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "NewColumn", {"Value"}, {"Value.1"}),
#"Inserted Sum" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded NewColumn", "Sum", each List.Sum({[Value], [Value.1]}), type number),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Sum",{"Value", "Value.1"}),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Sum", List.Sum)
in
#"Pivoted Column"

There you see that I've added some other cases in the source-data that this solution caters for (actually, this is new code here, so just skip the previous one I've posted).

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@trevb - Are you looking for a DAX solution or Query "M" solution?

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

In DAX, assuming that you only have two test types, otherwise this gets harder, you could do this:

1. Create a "Types" table with just A and B in it in a column called Type

2. Relate your two tabes on Type columns

3. Use a new column formula in your new "Types" table like:

2011 Total = SUMX(RELATEDTABLE(Tests),Tests[2011]) - (SUMX(ALL(Tests),Tests[2011]) - SUMX(RELATEDTABLE(Tests),Tests[2011]))

The math works out to:

1000 - (1600 - 1000) = 1000 - 6000 = 400

It does not work for B, but you could wrap it in an IF statement and do a different calculation for B (leave it alone).

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

This is an M-solution (query-editor) that adjusts dynamically to changing years.

It assumes that the ID-column is your separator for different groups: So all Type-B's with the same ID will be deducted from the same ID's type A. There must only be one TypeA per ID. The entries in column "name" don't matter.

let
    Source = YourTableName,
    UnpivotOther = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"ID", " Type", "Name"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Step1, each ([#" Type"] = "B")),
    Minus = Table.TransformColumns(#"Filtered Rows", {{"Value", each List.Product({_, -1}), type number}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Minus,"B","A",Replacer.ReplaceText,{" Type"}),
    Group = Table.Group(#"Replaced Value", {"ID", "Attribute", " Type"}, {{"Value", each List.Sum([Value]), type number}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Step1,{"ID", "Attribute", " Type"},Group,{"ID", "Attribute", " Type"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded NewColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "NewColumn", {"Value"}, {"Value.1"}),
    #"Inserted Sum" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded NewColumn", "Sum", each List.Sum({[Value], [Value.1]}), type number),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Sum", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

You need to reference to your individual source in the first step.

This is a "clickable solution": Done only by using the UI and no use of edited code in the advanced editor.

So there might be a shorter code, but this solution also allows you to follow the steps once you got it running by clicking on each step and watch how the results evolve. 

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi Smopre,  I was looking for an M solution as then I can use this both in PowerBI and excel if I have to provide an actual printed report (something it would be useful to have out of BI somehow)

Inke,  Many thanks for this I will give it a try 🙂 I can already see I can learn a lot from this 🙂

You two are amazing  🙂

Hi @trevb. Just realized that my code works on a table where the column "Type" has a leading space " Type". Which is a bit suboptimal.

Should have eaten my own dogfood and shipped the code together with the data as described here:

let
Source = Table.PromoteHeaders(Table.FromColumns({ {"ID" ,"1" ,"1" ,"1" ,"1" ,"2" ,"2" ,"2"}, {"Type" ,"A" ,"B" ,"B" ,"B" ,"B" ,"A" ,"C"}, {"Name" ,"Test1" ,"Test1B" ,"Test2B" ,"Test3B" ,"T" ,"Z" ,"TestC"}, {"2011" ,"1000" ,"100" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"100" ,"1"}, {"2012" ,"1000" ,"100" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"500" ,"1000"}, {"2013" ,"1000" ,"1000" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"600" ,"200"}, {"2014" ,"1000" ,"100" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"500" ,"100"}, {"2015 " ,"1000" ,"100" ,"200" ,"300" ,"200" ,"600" ,"50"} })),
UnpivotOther = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"ID", "Type", "Name"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Step1, each ([Type] <> "A")),
ReplaceType = Table.TransformColumns(Minus,{{"Type", each "A"}}),
Group = Table.Group(ReplaceType, {"ID", "Attribute", "Type"}, {{"Value", each List.Sum([Value]), type number}}),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Step1,{"ID", "Attribute", "Type"},Group,{"ID", "Attribute", "Type"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
in
#"Pivoted Column"

There you see that I've added some other cases in the source-data that this solution caters for (actually, this is new code here, so just skip the previous one I've posted).

Thanks @ImkeF, 

I figured out the leading space after a bit 😉  and I learnt a lot from this code.  Many thanks for your help with this it's been really useful.

@trevb

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.