Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PBIDevNoob
Helper I
Helper I

Slicers change with drillthrough?

I have a single select slicer on the drillthrough target--the slicer and the drillthrough filter is the same. Now, everytime I drillthrough to it, I need to change the slicer so that I get the right drillthrough filter. Is there a way that the slicers will change along with the drillthrough filters?

8 REPLIES 8
iainh
Frequent Visitor

I feel your pain on this, I have the exact same problem.

I have a Projects Overview page and a Projects Details page. I dont want the user to have to go back to the Project Overview to then go back into the next Projects Details page. So I added a Slicer filtered on the Project Number (unquie ID) which is the same data feild the drill through is based off.  However I ran into the same problem where the data on the Details was been filtered for by both Projects Numbers (same as your CAT & DUCK) example above. 

I assumed it would have built in logic that existing slicers filters and drill through filters based on the same data feild would be overridden upon a new filter selection used on the same data feild.

If you find a solution will you post it here please? (and visa versa)   

parry2k
Super User
Super User

One thing is not clear why there is a slicer on the drill thru page in the first place. if you really need a slicer on the drill thru page then watch this video on my YT channel https://youtu.be/frC3B_Dk3T8

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

PhillipWeeks
Frequent Visitor

I agree there should be a method to sync the same field slicer on a drill-through page with the actual field filter on the same page instead of having to click on the slicer and select the only option in the slicer dropdown as filtered through.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@PBIDevNoob not sure if I understood your question, could you provide some example.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi @parry2k 

Please refer to the image below.

If my slicer default is Duck then I drillthrough with the value Cat, the slicer doesn't automatically change to Cat. So the page would be filtered to both Cat AND Duck, and my tables and charts would all return blank. To fix, I would have to change the slicert to Cat. 

I want to eliminate the process of having to change the slicer everytime I drillthrough to this page. I don't really want to create a duplicate page without the slicer, just so I can work around this. 

This is what happens: 

image.png

@PBIDevNoob ,

I'm afraid power bi doesn't have this feature. You need to create a new page and remove the slicers or unclick the seleted values manually. Actually you can submit your idea here to help power bi improve.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have the same problem, it's very frustrating...
There seems to be a registered idea for this one already: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=69824fab-8b73-4009-aab7-cb80dc4bbf10

It would be worth voting more

@PBIDevNoob unfortunately it will not work, if you have selected default to duck, and you come to this page with cat, slicer still have value duck selected. it is a know functionality on how slicer works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.