Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ADP007
Helper IV
Helper IV

Slicer, allow the user only to select the top level

Hi all,

Does anyone have an idea on how I could achieve the following? At least visually.

I would like the user to be only able to select the top level in the slicer below. 

For example, he can only select Active, Age grouped, Family size etc.....He can't not select an individual child item.

The child level is mainly an explanation of what is contained in the top level.

Thanks as always

D.

2021-10-29_15-01-57.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
TheoC
Super User
Super User

@ADP007 can you please remove the second field that you have in your Slicer visual... for example, remove the "Id" highlighted in red below:

TheoC_0-1635835838509.png

I am not sure what your second column is, but just hit the little "x" and it will remove the ability for users to see the subcategory filter 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ADP007 

You want the child level to be the description of the top level, which doesn't seem to be achievable on slicer.

You can make suggestions on this webside. 

If you don’t mind, you can try to use table instead of slicer, table also has the function to filter the table which is called as crossfilter.And the following measure you can refer:

child level = CONCATENATEX('Table',[child],"
")

the result:

vchenwuzmsft_0-1635835505801.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

TheoC
Super User
Super User

@ADP007, you can use the Slicer visual Filter pane the same way as any other visual.  Therefore, only select what you want from "Basic Filtering" and that is all that will show in the slicer.

Hope this helps 🙂

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.