Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

papanovn
Frequent Visitor

Set FILTER value with variable

Hello.

I'm ex QlikView developer switching to Power BI. Now I'm trying to do some aggregations I've used to do in QlikView. I'm missing badly especially this one - to set filter value in expression using variable. Here is an example:
CALCULATE(
SUM('Customer Transactions'[Amount]);
FILTER('Customer Transactions'; 'Customer Transactions'[Transaction Date]<"Some specific date")
)
In QlikView I was able to define this "specific date" in two ways:

1.  Based on selection in [Transaction Date] field. In this case "Some specific date" = MAX(Transaction Date). To make this working you should remove [Transaction Date] selection effect in the expression.
  2.  Define variable varDate with empty value. User is able to set value to varDate via calendar object. In this case "Some specific date" is just varDate value.

I've found some solution about point 1 here http://goo.gl/XvvMs9 but it's far too complex. I'm trying to find a way to make point 2 in Power BI. Is there such possibility?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexChen
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I assume your Transactions table is like below.

1.png

In DAX, we can’t define a variable for user selection and use it in calculation. You should use slicer to achieve your goal. In your scenario, I think you want to calculate the cumulative total amount. You need to use ALL() function to ignore the current row slicing.

Your measure should be like:

Measure = CALCULATE(sum(Transactions[Amount]), FILTER(ALL(Transactions), Transactions[Transaction Date] <MAX(Transactions[Transaction Date])))

Now we can create a slicer to show this measure. I think you don’t want to have the slicer selection affect visual. You can “Edit Interactions” and select “None” on visual.

2.png3.png

And when you show this measure to whole table, you can see that:

4.png

Best Regards

Alex

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexChen
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I assume your Transactions table is like below.

1.png

In DAX, we can’t define a variable for user selection and use it in calculation. You should use slicer to achieve your goal. In your scenario, I think you want to calculate the cumulative total amount. You need to use ALL() function to ignore the current row slicing.

Your measure should be like:

Measure = CALCULATE(sum(Transactions[Amount]), FILTER(ALL(Transactions), Transactions[Transaction Date] <MAX(Transactions[Transaction Date])))

Now we can create a slicer to show this measure. I think you don’t want to have the slicer selection affect visual. You can “Edit Interactions” and select “None” on visual.

2.png3.png

And when you show this measure to whole table, you can see that:

4.png

Best Regards

Alex

Thank You, Alex. This works for me.

Trying to move part of workload from Qlik as well (due to business need, not because of problems with Qlik itself).

Very hard to map Qlik stuff and way of thinking to M, DAX and Power BI way of thinking, especially Set analysis.

But the lack of variables which can be controlled by user via UI - this is a real bummer in Power BI. It is so useful to have filters, slicers, etc to control variables inside the script.

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can create a variable in powerbi but they are local to the calculation only.

or the other approach you can use is use of parameters in query mode.

You can find the more information in use of variables in this blog post.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/variables-in-dax/

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.