Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scatter Plot - Not Summarizing a Whole Number for Y-Axis

Hi all,

This is an extension on another graph I asked about before (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Graph-Visualization-Help-Showing-only-Decreases-and-Equal-t...).

Let's take the same dataset from above (with some minor tweaking now):

Scenario

Group

Customer IDOld RatingNew RatingRating DifferenceValue ($)
1AutomotiveBOBRT-3RT-521000
1AutomotiveBOBRT-3RT-632000
1AgricultureTEDRT-4RT-2-25000
1AgricultureJOHNRT-2RT-201333
1FinanceGEORGERT-5RT-2-39990
1FinanceGEORGERT-5RT-1051222
1TravelVICKRT-1RT-105232
1TravelTAMMYRT-5RT-2-37131
2AutomotiveBOBRT-3RT-521000
2AutomotiveBOBRT-3RT-632000
2AgricultureTEDRT-4RT-2-25000
2AgricultureJOHNRT-2RT-201333
2FinanceGEORGERT-5RT-2-39990
2FinanceGEORGERT-5RT-1051222
2TravelVICKRT-1RT-105232
2TravelTAMMYRT-5RT-2-37131

As you can see above, the rating difference is essentially calculated using New Rating - Old Rating.

I want to create a Scatter Plot which shows the following:

• X-Axis using Old Rating as Categories
  • Y-Axis showing Rating Difference
    • HOWEVER, the tricky part is - how do I show the same Customer ID on the Y-axis twice? I don't want the Rating Difference to be summarised, but every time I change it to a Text, the scatter plot doesn't work.
    • Ideally, as an example from the dataset I put above:
      • There should be two dots on Old Rating RT-3 for customer BOB. One which is a little higher due to having a Rating Difference of 3, and one which is slightly lower on RT-3 due Rating Difference of 2. THERE SHOULD BE NO SUMMARIZING / AGGREGATION on rating differences. 
  • For the Legend, I want to be switching between the Scenarios.
  • As an added bonus, I want the size of the dots to also be dependent on the Value ($) column.

The tricky part right now I'm stuck on, is showing the same customer on the scatter plot separately without the rating differences being aggregated. Any help on what approach to take?

I've done a quick mockup here, if its any help:

rlee2838_0-1594628589251.png

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Scatter plot requires an aggregation for x and y axis and size. Please refer to the similar post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Scatter-plot-summarizing-data/td-p/37229

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Create a concatenated column and try

A new column like

New key = [Customer ID] & " " & [Old Rating] & " " & [New Rating]

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Why a concateneate column though? I cannot display such keys in the Scatter Graph, as the end result of Customer ID + Old Rating + New Rating won't be of much use to someone if they looked at the graph, as it'll likely be confusing to the end-user.

And where would I use the concatenate column? If I use it under detail, I get the following error: "Remove Details to display x- and y-axis pairs. Alternaitvely you can keep Details and set a summarization for x- and y-axis."

In addition, it seems I'm forced to use numbers for the Y-Axis, except they always force me to Summarize them...

Hi @Anonymous,

Scatter plot requires an aggregation for x and y axis and size. Please refer to the similar post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Scatter-plot-summarizing-data/td-p/37229

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.