Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reset Sub-categories based on Categories

I'm trying to create 2 drop-downs, one of them is the main category and the other one is a sub-category. Ideally if someone selects a main category, the subcategory should update for corresponsing sub-category and can select a sub-category for further analysis. But, in my report, when I select a subcategory, it kind of locks onto it after changing the main category, even if that subcategory doesnt belong to the main category. For eg:

Cat: A has 1 Subcategory: X, So I select category A and then subcategory X. Now if I want to look at another category C, the previous subcategory X is selected by default (which does not belong to C). Is there any way to reset subcategory dropdown each time a category is selected. 

This is a small representation of the bigger dataset I'm working on, hence unselecting the subcategory every time isn't a practical solution. The pbix file is attached here for reference: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11v5uAiKRIT15LCsUl7H7WUDO_Zm_MTz9/view?usp=sharing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your description, you can use “hierarchy slicer” in maket place as follows.

v-yuaj-msft_0-1607505349244.png

Result:

v-yuaj-msft_1-1607505349251.png

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your description, you can use “hierarchy slicer” in maket place as follows.

v-yuaj-msft_0-1607505349244.png

Result:

v-yuaj-msft_1-1607505349251.png

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying @v-yuaj-msft , This should do the job. It would be nice to have 2 separate slicers or a way to reset the sub-category slicer based on category slicer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous make sure that single selection is off in the formatting pane for both slicers and in case you want single selection, in that case create 1 slicer and drag your category and sub category in one slicer only so then you would not have to depend on 2 slicers.

Kindly mark it as solution if this works with you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for reply @Anonymous, single selection is already off in the file I uploaded and it's not working. Am I missing something here?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.