Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Maryann
Helper I
Helper I

Relationships

Trying to create relationships for a correctional institution system

I have charges offense code and hearing result offense code both joined separately to offence code descriptions. 

both were created as active relationships

Then why when I have charge reporting staff, and hearing staff both joined separately to STaff members, it gives me one active and one inactive relationshipJoins.png

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

There can be 2 reasons.

1. There are more than one paths between 2 tables. Like A-B, A-C-B.

2. There are tables having bi-directional join creating these two paths. So remove all bi-directional joins. Click on join properties and check.

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Maryann it is very hard to see what is going on. what happens when you try to make it active, you probably get a warning message, what is that?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

When I try to make the relationship active this is the message:

"You can't create an active relationship because an active set of indirect relationships already exists between these two tables.

To make this relationship active set the cross filter direction to single, delete , or deactivate any of the indirect relationships first."

These are the relationships in question

1- OIC Incidents <---(active-single)   Staff Members

2- OIC Incidents --->(active-single)  OIC Incident investiations   <-- (inactive-single)  Staff Members   

3- OIC Incidents --->(active-single)  OIC Incident Charges   <-- (active-single) Offences 

4- OIC Incidents --->(active-single) OIC hearings --->(active-single) OIC hearing results   <-- (active-single) Offences

Not sure why 4 works and 2 does not work.

thanks for all your input.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.