Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Stelian
Helper I
Helper I

Relations between slicers

Hello, 

I have a table with a column for markets and another column for companies operating within these markets. There is no hierarchy between them.
I've created a slicer for markets with options for both force selection and single selection, and another slicer without force selection allowing multiple selections for companies.

When I select Market A in the company slicer, only the companies associated with Market A appear. If I also select a company X, then when I change the selection to Market B, although the companies related to this market appear in the company slicer, the table shows no data because Market B and company X are selected.
Can you tell me please how can I ensure that when I select a market, it deselects the companies from the previously selected market, ensuring the filter reflects the current market selection?

Thank you,

Stelian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Stelian 

Thanks for sharing the data!

Do you choose to keep the company slicer from affecting the market slicer?

You can view this by clicking on the company slicer, going to the FORMAT tab and selecting EDIT INTERACTIONS.

vnuocmsft_0-1709880699254.png

You can see two icons in the top right corner of visual, like this:

vnuocmsft_2-1709880812322.png

If you select the icon on the right, the situation you are experiencing will appear.

This is because the two slicers do not affect each other, but there is no information for A1 and A2 under Market B, so no data is displayed.

vnuocmsft_3-1709881052700.png

vnuocmsft_4-1709881082375.png

If it's not the above, I can offer other solutions as well.

You want to implement reselecting the slicer and the data is automatically reset, power bi doesn't seem to support this. However, you may consider using bookmarks and buttons. I have provided some steps to create them:

First, clear all your choices for the slicer.

Click on "View" in the tab and select "Bookmarks". Add the current page as a bookmark.

vnuocmsft_5-1709882001346.png

Click on "Insert" in the Options tab and select "Buttons".

vnuocmsft_6-1709882094862.png

Attach a bookmark to the button.

vnuocmsft_7-1709882170524.png

When you use the button (Ctrl + Click), then it returns to the slicer unselected state.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Stelian 

I tried to test the question you asked, but due to lack of more information I can't help you in more detail.

If you can, please provide some dummy data. It would be best to provide pbix files and be careful to remove sensitive data.

Regards,

Nono Chen

Hello,

I've tried to uplod a file but ...

Stelian_0-1709878829502.png

Anyway, for example, we have the following data from the source file:

MarketsCompaniesValues
AA15
AA27
AA38
BB14
BB26
BB37
CC12
CC21
CC33

If I select market A and companies A1 and A2:

Stelian_1-1709878921204.png

Then, if I select market B without deselecting companies A1 and A2, there will be no values shown, as those companies remain selected.

Stelian_3-1709879036402.png

If I deselect the A1 and A2 companies and select market B, the table will include values for the companies in market B.

However, if companies A1 and A2 are selected and I choose market B, the other companies from different markets should be deselected automatically, and only the values for companies in market B should appear in the table.

Thank you,

Stelian

Hi @Stelian 

Thanks for sharing the data!

Do you choose to keep the company slicer from affecting the market slicer?

You can view this by clicking on the company slicer, going to the FORMAT tab and selecting EDIT INTERACTIONS.

vnuocmsft_0-1709880699254.png

You can see two icons in the top right corner of visual, like this:

vnuocmsft_2-1709880812322.png

If you select the icon on the right, the situation you are experiencing will appear.

This is because the two slicers do not affect each other, but there is no information for A1 and A2 under Market B, so no data is displayed.

vnuocmsft_3-1709881052700.png

vnuocmsft_4-1709881082375.png

If it's not the above, I can offer other solutions as well.

You want to implement reselecting the slicer and the data is automatically reset, power bi doesn't seem to support this. However, you may consider using bookmarks and buttons. I have provided some steps to create them:

First, clear all your choices for the slicer.

Click on "View" in the tab and select "Bookmarks". Add the current page as a bookmark.

vnuocmsft_5-1709882001346.png

Click on "Insert" in the Options tab and select "Buttons".

vnuocmsft_6-1709882094862.png

Attach a bookmark to the button.

vnuocmsft_7-1709882170524.png

When you use the button (Ctrl + Click), then it returns to the slicer unselected state.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Gabriele_hbto
Helper II
Helper II

I think you can't do that way. You can't deselect values on a filter. 

I think what you should do is put everything on the same slicer, so you will have markets at first level and all the companies in that market as the second level. The user will be able to select wich companies and also combine companis from different markets and also know what market a company belongs too.

So in my opinion you should use only one slicer not 2

Thank you for your quick response. I need both slicers, so I'll wait, maybe a solution for this will arise.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.