Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Medmanage101
Frequent Visitor

Refresh But Compare

I have a simple Excel sheet that gets updated and changed weekly.  Hitting 'Refresh' works great but now last week's data is gone.  Any ideas on how I have a visual that shows the comparisons of each week?  There is not a date column in my data source.   It is simple data...a list of employees.  This changes every week and I need to see those changes.  (30 down to 27 this week.)  But my 30 does not exist once the list is updated.  It only shows a current list of employees at 27.  Could Power Bi add a date column every time I hit refresh?  Ideas? Help.

2 REPLIES 2
Medmanage101
Frequent Visitor

When I 'Append' I just got double the numbers (employees).  Not two sets with different dates and times.  I went from 20 employees to 40, all with the same date and time every time I refresh.

Medmanage101_0-1702412820237.png

Awm
Regular Visitor

Certainly! Here's a detailed step-by-step explanation:

1. Duplicate Data:
- In Power BI, go to the Power Query Editor by selecting "Transform Data."
- In the Query Editor, find your data query, right-click on it, and choose "Duplicate." This creates a copy of your existing data query.

2.Add Date Column:
- In the duplicated query, click on "Add Column" in the ribbon, then select "Date & Time" and choose "Date." This adds a new column with the current date for each row.
- If you want an automated date, you can use the formula `DateTime.LocalNow()` in the new column.

3. Combine Data:
- Still in the Query Editor, select the original and duplicated queries.
- Go to the "Home" tab, click on "Combine Queries," and choose "Append Queries." This combines both queries into one.

4. Load Data:
- After combining the queries, click on "Close & Apply" to load the data back into Power BI.

5. Visualize Changes:
- In your report view, create visualizations using the combined data.
- Include the newly added date column in your visuals to track changes over time.

6. Refresh:
- Each time you hit the refresh button in Power BI, the duplicated query captures the current data with a new date, preserving historical snapshots.

By following these steps, you'll have a setup that maintains a historical record of your data, allowing you to analyze and visualize changes over different weeks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.