Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Maxime_DL

RANKING ON DATES AND 2 GROUPS

Hello,

I'm new to DAX and I'm trying to index dates chronologically, grouped by customers and contracts. This index must respect the filters.

Exemple :

I have a dataset with columns CLIENT, CONTRAT and DATE and possible filter on this 3 column

2023-07-29_14h23_12.png

I want to add an index column with exepted result like :

2023-07-29_14h22_55.png

Can someone help me please ?

Regards,

Max

5 REPLIES 5
foodd
Super User
Super User

A date table in Power BI  needs to be unique because it serves as the foundation for date-based calculations and relationships within the data model. When creating a date table, it should consist of unique and continuous dates, typically covering a range of dates without any duplicates or gaps.

I understand the importance of having unique dates but in my case they are not and it is for this reason that I cannot index my dates and that I created this post. This data represents insurance claims. A customer may have a claim on an insurance contract on the same date as another customer or on another contract. Is there a way to circumvent the problem?

Hypothetically, adding your 'Claim number' (and if it is a combination of claim number + indicator + Claimant ID for processing step or change (if necessary) would allow for a unique identifier in the queries).   You will need to test and confirm any relationships and filtering within the model. 

foodd
Super User
Super User

The reply was created from a phone and is untested.  An explanation of the general pattern and a

the sample is below.   You will need to test and adjust the measure where needed.  The key is RANKX

which you can research and find tutorials on for further use.

To create an index of dates chronologically, grouped by customers and contracts, while respecting filters, you can use the RANKX function in DAX. The RANKX function allows you to rank values based on a specific expression within a context. In this case, we'll use RANKX to rank the dates for CLIENT and CONTRAT.

Index Chronological =
RANKX(
FILTER(ALL('YourTableName'),
NOT(ISBLANK([DATE])) // Apply the necessary filters to exclude blank dates
),
[DATE],
ASC,
Dense
)

Hello,

Thank you for your fast answer but it dont works.

I have an error because the column DATE dont contains unique value.

2023-07-29_15h11_24.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.