Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bryanc78
Helper IV
Helper IV

Question about shared datasets

Currently I have about 10 data sets.  All of them are used to create their own PBI reports.  A few I'm also using to combine into a separate PBI report.  So, for these combined reports, when I update the dataset, I have to update it twice as I'm currently not using shared datasets.

What's the best way to manage this?

Should I create one big shared dataset and just turn off refresh on the individual datasets that I'm not using for that report?

Should I create 10 separate shared datasets?  If so, can I combine multiple shared datasets into one report?

Any good tutorials out there on shared datasets?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bryanc78 ,

Do you mean data source rather than dataset which in the Service?  You want to update once the data source. And then the separate PBI report and the report which is combined many data source both refresh. Right? If so, I think you could create a big shared dataset to create report separately. Then set schedule refresh in the Service. All the report using that dataset will up to date. However, if the 10 data source is too big, the report may not run smoothly. It needs lots of time to load data.

For combining multiple shared datasets into one report, we only can get one dataset into Desktop to create reports for now. So the way is not available.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bryanc78 ,

Do you mean data source rather than dataset which in the Service?  You want to update once the data source. And then the separate PBI report and the report which is combined many data source both refresh. Right? If so, I think you could create a big shared dataset to create report separately. Then set schedule refresh in the Service. All the report using that dataset will up to date. However, if the 10 data source is too big, the report may not run smoothly. It needs lots of time to load data.

For combining multiple shared datasets into one report, we only can get one dataset into Desktop to create reports for now. So the way is not available.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, I meant data sources.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.