Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Ylreeb
Frequent Visitor

Query on differing XML-BLOB values

Dear Power-BI-Forum

I'm trying to excerpt descriptive metadata from an Enterprise Media Asset Management System stored as binary (blob) within an Oracle-DB. The data itself is an XML.

So far so easy, I proceeded this way:

1. Selected the affected Oracle-table as PowerBI-Import
  2. Removed all unneeded columns
  3. XML-Parsed the blob-column and removed errors (former blob's with null-values)
  4. Transformed one particular item by expanding and pivoting

metadata_01.PNGmetadata_02.PNG

In order to execute this for all items I just edited the responsible "row filtering" M-Code to "each true". That gives me the following error:  

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value "xxx" to type Table.
Details:
    Value=xxx
    Type=Type

The reason for that behavior:

descriptive metadata can differ in their amount of values and so in the amount of columns after the BI-query/transformation. That is because the vendor on facilitates some kind of flexibility handling descriptive metadata within the relational database of the Media Asset Management system.

My procedure even works fine with items keeping the same amount of values.

So I'm coming up to you - is there any way reducing the values within the blob/XML (eg. to asset.siteIdentity, sports.sport, asset.materialType, asset.title) as a kind of a defined record/value-subset pivoting to?

I also tried "Combine Files". But transforming the receiving CSV (Sample File) the way Parsed-XML does by using delimiters is quite impossible.

THX in advance

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Ylreeb,

You'll need to do research into The Advanced Editor.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.