Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Previous Value in Power Query

Hi Experts

I am trying to work out the previous Value. in my data set. Previous Period is easy. [period]-1 in M. I would like to do the Previous Value formula in M

Here is my Table with expected result

ProductDatePeriodPrevious PeriodValuePrevious Value
0 of 9%01/01/20210-12020
0 of 9%01/01/202110192202
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

here is my solution:

03-05-_2021_16-48-15.png

// Table
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRSitWJVjIzBVPGJhDa0ARMWUCFjczNINJKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each if [Index]-1 < 0 then null else List.Range(#"Added Index"[Value], [Index]-1, 1)),
    #"Expanded Custom1" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom1",{"Index"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "Previous Value"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Take a look at:

https://exceltown.com/en/tutorials/power-bi/powerbi-com-and-power-bi-desktop/power-bi-data-sources/power-query-get-value-from-previous-row/

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

here is my solution:

03-05-_2021_16-48-15.png

// Table
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRSitWJVjIzBVPGJhDa0ARMWUCFjczNINJKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each if [Index]-1 < 0 then null else List.Range(#"Added Index"[Value], [Index]-1, 1)),
    #"Expanded Custom1" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom1",{"Index"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "Previous Value"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Take a look at:

https://exceltown.com/en/tutorials/power-bi/powerbi-com-and-power-bi-desktop/power-bi-data-sources/power-query-get-value-from-previous-row/

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lookup is not going to work here Amit...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.