Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

phillip_from_oz
Frequent Visitor

Powershell add table to Power BI desktop file

Hi,

I want to do the following:

1. Run a powershell script to get some Active Directory user information and format the data

I want to use the data to create a table in a *.pbix file

I know that I can get the powershell script to create say an intermediate Excel file

Then read that Excel file inside Power BI Desktop

I also know that you can get to Active Directory directly within Power BI Desktop "Get Source".

Decoding User Account Control bit mask using Power BI Desktop fails in my AD environment after many hours

[I've used some code I found in this forum for the decode]

2. Run a powerhshell script to run "refresh" and then run a report inside a *.pbix file

Is any of this possible?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sort of. You can also use Tabular Editor or similar XMLA tools to do this both on the desktop (with running Power BI Desktop instance) and on the service. However this won't work from PowerShell.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

so ive a powershell script,i want to push the data in the script to powerbi desktop or service .help please

$PAT= ****
$base64AuthInfo= [System.Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::ASCII.GetBytes(":$($PAT)"))
$WorkItemQueryURL = "https://dev.azure.com/UWA-DEV/Global_Product_Strategy/FP Team/_apis/wit/wiql?api-version=6.0"
$teams=@('Reference Data I','Reference Data II','User Management')
$counter=0
$counter2=0
$team2=@('uvGO Technical Enhancements','Flight Planning','FIQ','Trips')
foreach ($i in $teams){
$body =@"
{
"query": "Select * From WorkItems Where [System.WorkItemType] in ('User Story','bug') and [System.State] != 'closed' and [System.State] != 'Removed' and [System.IterationPath] = @currentIteration('[Global_Product_Strategy]\\FP Team <id:233a2595-f8be-423e-a5a7-6132f319e008>') and [System.AreaPath] = 'Global_Product_Strategy\\$i'"
}
"@
$WorkItem = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $WorkItemQueryURL -ContentType "application/json" -Body $body -Headers @{Authorization=("Basic {0}" -f $base64AuthInfo)} -Method POST

foreach ($id in $WorkItem.workItems.id) {
$counter++
}
write-host $counter $i
$counter=0
}

foreach ($j in $team2){
$body =@"
{
"query": "Select * From WorkItems Where [System.WorkItemType] in ('User Story','bug') and [System.State] != 'closed' and [System.State] != 'Removed' and [System.IterationPath] = @currentIteration('[Global_Product_Strategy]\\FP Team <id:233a2595-f8be-423e-a5a7-6132f319e008>') and [System.AreaPath] = 'Global_Product_Strategy\\uvGO\\$j'"
}
"@
$WorkItem = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $WorkItemQueryURL -ContentType "application/json" -Body $body -Headers @{Authorization=("Basic {0}" -f $base64AuthInfo)} -Method POST
foreach ($id in $WorkItem.workItems.id) {
$counter2++

}
write-host $counter2 $j
$counter2=0
}

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You cannot create new data sources inside a dataset programmatically. You can modify existing data sources, and you can replace entire datasets.

Thanks.

Can you tell me how I can modify a data source?
An example would be great.
A web reference for data source modification is a great alternative

Thanks.

Looks like this can only work for Power BI cloud version not the Power BI Desktop.
Right?

Sort of. You can also use Tabular Editor or similar XMLA tools to do this both on the desktop (with running Power BI Desktop instance) and on the service. However this won't work from PowerShell.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.