Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Afkkek
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI XIRR vs Excel XIRR differences

Hello,

I noticed that when using XIRR in PowerBI sometimes it's possible to be unable to locate solutions that Excel is able to (and Python for that matter), even if forcing in an estimate.  In my particular example, Excel and Python using the same cash flows would give a default IRR of approximately 20%, but can generate an alternate solution of 800%+ if a high enough estimate is entered.  PowerBI on the other hand for this set of cash flows would only locate the 800% solution, not the 20% solution regardless of estimates.

Has anyone else observed a similar situation or know of an official reason for this? 

I apologize for the vague question, and I thought of attaching a scrubbed version of the cash flows but due to a character limit and a very specific set of circumstances (ie if I reduce the number of rows, then I'm no longer able to replicate this), for the time being I thought it'd be quicker just to see if anyone else has experienced this.  

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Afkkek ,The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.
Hope you are using https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/xirr-function-dax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1WRSFuaFmE
Appreciate your Kudos.

Thanks for the reply @amitchandak , I'll try to explain it with some screenshots.

Afkkek_0-1696425462991.png

Here you can see that for a given set of cash flows, Excel calculates either 28.39% (default estimate) or 593% if a higher estimate gets entered - in my case here I've entered 200% arbitrarily.

PowerBI on the other hand using the exact same cash flows with default estimates, gives the 593% result.

Afkkek_3-1696427138772.png

Even if I manually hard code the expected 0.28 estimate in, it still gives 593%.

Afkkek_4-1696427173094.png

Is this something that's expected, and has anyone managed to get around it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.