Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

CloudFixers

PowerBI Desktop will not connect to Semantic Model that is available in PowerBI Service

We have Analysis Services running on an Azure VM outside of our domain.
Data Gateway is installed
PowerBI service can access the semantic models in Analysis Services and we can author reports in the PBI Service
Download one of these to PBI Desktop and it will not connect to the data source.

The PBI Desktop error is as below.  There doesnt apoear to be anything in the gateway log.

PBI DESKTOP ErrorPBI DESKTOP Error

Data Gateway Network Test passes all tests.
We're now running the gateway in HTTPS mode to simplify the port requirements, but it still fails.

If we run PBI desktop on the same server as Analysis Services - that works - however this is not going to be practical.
We've tried launching PBI Desktop on a remote computer but with the Analysis Services Admin user without luck.

What troubleshooting steps can we follow to find out if this is a user profile issue or a networking issue?

6 REPLIES 6
user518520
Frequent Visitor

did this ever get solved

having same issue after upgrade to April PowerBI desktop..struggling to connect to datasets

1 .getting pbidedicated:// errors 

2. failed to connect to url

zenisekd
Super User
Super User

Hi, am I the right understanding, that the desktop file that you downloaded from the service has the source in the import mode? in that case, it won't work. 

What the gateway does is that it allows Power BI Service to run updates and connect, however, if you are in a desktop, it is not connected via a gateway, but directly, and since it is behind the firewall, it won't connect. 

You will need to connect to the semantic model (Power BI datasets) and build a report on top of it. 

zenisekd_0-1707300022254.png

Kudos and mark as solution appreciated 🙂

The connection that fails is to the Semantic Model in Live Mode.

From the PBI Service I download the report
Screenshot 2024-02-07 212212.png

Then in PBI desktop I get this error
Screenshot 2024-02-07 212439.png

and if I try to reconnect the datasource to the semantic model in PBI Desktop, like this

Screenshot 2024-02-07 212620.png

I get this error

Screenshot 2024-02-07 204414.png

It does seem like PBI Desktop is not using the gateway, but why?

Could you try to connect from desktop via the "Power BI dataset", as I printscreened previously? 

The live connect show should work fine. It could be because of your company privacy settings. 
I have a customer like this and I connect to it no problem. 

I don't have "Power BI dataset" as an option.

It is probably just old verion of "Semantic Model"...

So I suppose you need to talk to your admin to enable the live connection...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.