Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

uSER_40001

Power bi usage to justify class absence of students

Hi, I'm currently employed as a it admin for a university branch and currently a noob in power bi, I just started taking some courses about it because I was tasked with solving a problem that involves the handling of a google sheet database (which gets filled with data from the students using google forms) that has student information regarding their justification for a class absence, currently it has like 300 answers and the sheet in particular has lots of columns, a teacher proposed my to find a solution using power bi, kinda like using it to group the data in a more friendly way and also that can help divide the data into like "groups" where different teachers can only see the justification of their own classes and students enrolled in that class in particular, maybe like "roles"....kinda? plus a way for them to be notified via email about each new entry that comes through from google forms to the google sheet, so after hearing this from the teacher, I want to ask experts here if this is something too hard to learn and implement from literally a beginner POV, meaning that I should ask and hire a professional or it is possible to learn from scratch + with help and guidance from y'all.

Currently the data that's in the sheet is date, student name, email, phone number, ID, motive for absence, and finally different rows that identify the student degree and class subject that he/she wants to justify.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Thanks for the solution @Bipin-Lala  provided and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @uSER_40001 , based on your information, you want to the teacher can only see their own data, this can be implement by using RLS, You can refer to the following link.

Row Level Security in Power BI Desktop - RADACAD

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Bing Videos

And you can refer to the follwing sample.

Get samples for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

You can also refer to the following document, it display more learning about Power BI.

Power BI documentation - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Bipin-Lala
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @uSER_40001,

It sounds like a great opportunity for you to leverage Power BI to solve a real challenge for your university. I believe Power BI is a tool created for citizen developers, designed to be accessible and intuitive for anyone to use and learn.

It does seem a bit daunting at first, but trust me, the learning curve for Power BI is not very steep, making it a great platform for beginners like you to dive in and start building simple reporting solutions.

Email notifications, roles-based access come a bit later, but handling the data from a Google Sheets database in Power BI is possible, even from a beginner's perspective.

It's great that you have already started taking some courses to enhance your skills, it speaks about your proactiveness and dedication towards learning. There are tons of resources, courses, and documentation available at your disposal. Don't want to endorse any course, but I started with this Udemy course as my introduction to Power BI. You can always ask for more recommendations and the community would be happy to help you out.

In summary, learning and implementing Power BI for your scenario is feasible, especially with the abundance of resources and support available. Just believe in your ability to learn, adapt, and innovate.

And always keep in mind, the Power BI Community is a wonderful network of supportive individuals who are always willing to assist one another. If you encounter any challenges or roadblocks, feel free to ask for help!

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.