Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI_V2
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI visual as input data source for other Power BI Reports

Hello All,

We have a requirement to develop a Power BI report from another Power BI Report. Following is the scanario:

1) We have a dashboard on which we have viewer role only

2) We don't have access to its dataset. 

3) We have checked with client for accessing the dataset. Due to some security reason they can not give access to dataset.

4) In some of the visuals in the existing dashboard, we have the data that need to pull and create a new dashboard.

Kindly suggest how we can pull the data from Power BI report to create another Power BI report without having access to its dataset.

Thanks,

PBI V2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @PBI_V2 

1) Is it possible to automate export data from visual(s) from existing dashboard so that we can pull all required data on daily basis & can develop the new dashboard. It will avoid lot of  daily manual work of export the data from multiple visuals.
You can do it with the help of power automate download daily reports in excel .

2) Is there any way to export all the visuals data at once.

Yes. 
Export > Analyze in excel from power bi service

Uzi2019_0-1713940258169.png

3) I dont know about Power BI dataflow but just checking with you that is this something we can utilize to pull the data from Power BI Dashboard

Yes. you can get the power bi dataset in power automate.
Or you can simply open excel and conncet PBI dataset otion from data source 

Uzi2019_1-1713940411571.png

4) consumption of Web URL for each visuals from existing Dashboard to extract the data and develop the new dashboard.
You will not get web URL for each visual in case of reusing data of previous dashboard. you might get the excel data.

5) In Power BI --> Export--> Analyze in Excel... Will it work 
Yes. Definitely.

Note : You can automate downloading process in excel through Power automate but you restricted View only access dont know how far you can go with that. 

I hope I answered all your question!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBI_V2 

You can download the data but you need to have different permission other than viewer. By downloading the visual data directly from power bi report so that you can resuse the downloadable data in power bi.

Uzi2019_0-1713872112746.png

Or you can ask client to do the same process and share excel file with you.

I hope it may work for u!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Hello @Uzi2019 & @Jonvoge ,

Thanks for your response.

1) Is it possible to automate export data from visual(s) from existing dashboard so that we can pull all required data on daily basis & can develop the new dashboard. It will avoid lot of  daily manual work of export the data from multiple visuals.

3) I dont know about Power BI dataflow but just checking with you that is this something we can utilize to pull the data from Power BI Dashboard

4) consumption of Web URL for each visuals from existing Dashboard to extract the data and develop the new dashboard.

Thanks,

PBI V2

HI @PBI_V2 

You can do it with the help of power automate download daily reports in excel .

Yes. 
Export > Analyze in excel from power bi service

Uzi2019_0-1713940258169.png

Yes. you can get the power bi dataset in power automate.
Or you can simply open excel and conncet PBI dataset otion from data source 

Uzi2019_1-1713940411571.png

You will not get web URL for each visual in case of reusing data of previous dashboard. you might get the excel data.

Yes. Definitely.

Note : You can automate downloading process in excel through Power automate but you restricted View only access dont know how far you can go with that. 

I hope I answered all your question!

Jonvoge
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi PBI_V2

There is to my knowledge no way to do so automatically with the amount of permissions you have.

Have you considered asking the client to create a Data Warehouse view specifically with the data you need, and let you connect to that instead?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.