Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

imiodrag

Power BI role - see data for everybody in the group

Hi all, 

I would really appreicate for you help. I have problem with setting role in PoweBI. My problem is:

I have group (we call it Duo1, Duo2, Duo3), where we have more than one CustomerID. So I don't know how to create roles where I will based on the CustomerID check in which Duo group it belongs, and when I find it, I should see also other CustomerID's data in that same Duo group. We connect Sales data to Customer table... 

This is not hierarchy issue, but can it be implemented something like that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @imiodrag ,

It is possible to create a role in Power BI based on the CustomerID and group them into a specific Duo group. 

Please have a try.

• Create a new role in the Power BI Desktop by going to the "Modeling" tab and selecting "Manage Roles".
  • In the "Manage Roles" window, click on "Create" to create a new role.
  • Give the role a name, such as "Duo Group".
  •  In the "Table Permissions" section, select the table that contains the CustomerID and Sales data.
  • In the "Filter" section, add a filter that checks if the CustomerID belongs to one of the Duo groups. You can use the "IN" operator to check if the CustomerID is in a list of values.
  • Save the role and publish the report to the Power BI service.
  • Assign the role to the appropriate users or groups in the Power BI service.

With this role, users will only be able to see the Sales data for the CustomerIDs that belong to the same Duo group as the one they are assigned to. They will not be able to see Sales data for CustomerIDs in other Duo groups.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @imiodrag ,

It is possible to create a role in Power BI based on the CustomerID and group them into a specific Duo group. 

Please have a try.

• Create a new role in the Power BI Desktop by going to the "Modeling" tab and selecting "Manage Roles".
  • In the "Manage Roles" window, click on "Create" to create a new role.
  • Give the role a name, such as "Duo Group".
  •  In the "Table Permissions" section, select the table that contains the CustomerID and Sales data.
  • In the "Filter" section, add a filter that checks if the CustomerID belongs to one of the Duo groups. You can use the "IN" operator to check if the CustomerID is in a list of values.
  • Save the role and publish the report to the Power BI service.
  • Assign the role to the appropriate users or groups in the Power BI service.

With this role, users will only be able to see the Sales data for the CustomerIDs that belong to the same Duo group as the one they are assigned to. They will not be able to see Sales data for CustomerIDs in other Duo groups.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.