Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DmitryKo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI Rounds Int64 columns to next thousand

Simple table with EmployeeID column that has underlying Int64 data type. Source is import from Excel if it matters.

Problem: the model rounds the data value to the closest thousand. This is how it looks in Power BI Desktop (page configured with page-level filter based on 2 unique names so it's exactly the same 2 rows of data); changing display type to Text results in correct value being displayed; changing it back to "Whole number" results in incorrect rounded-to-thousand value displayed:

DmitryKo_0-1664194604758.png

This is not a display-only issue as it results in incorrect data pulled through relationships. Note that the value itself (4 000 600 100 000 172 836) is within int64 range (int64.maxvalue = 9 223 372 036 854 775 807).

Why?

3 REPLIES 3
DmitryKo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Any other insights on this? I'm rather surprised of this bug, to say the least

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DmitryKo You could try decimal number. You really want that as Text though. Using ID's like that as a number tends to remove leading zeros, etc. I highly recommend you leave it as Text.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The id in the datasource is int64, so leading zeroes are not an issue - if the data is interpreted correctly. Quesion is: why it's not being interpreted correctly by power bi (power query engine)?

And no, I don't want it as text; my assumption is performance on int64-based key vs text-based key would be orders of magnitude different.

P.S. Are you seriously suggesting changing ID column to a floating point data type?..
P.P.S. Please fix your signature, your 2 rows of text long reply takes almost entire screen due to clutter in the sig.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.