Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Power BI Navigation Window Table Name truncated via ODBC

Hello guys,

I am using ODBC connector for Power BI Desktop, in my case the length of my table name is more than 1024bytes.
However when I debug the connector input code, Power BI sends only the 1024 size name alone along with three dots(...).

This leads to the failure of our end users' use case. We have checked the PBI Desktop logs, and it seems we correctly pushed the table name to Power BI via SQLTABLESW call. However, in SQLCOLUMNSW the table name is returned as truncated one of 1024 byte size. Is there any way to fix this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Mohanasudharsan 

The official documentation does not specify a limit on the length of column names at this time, and there does not seem to be a straightforward way to increase this limit, as it may be a built-in constraint in Power BI. You can submit an idea for here and the product team will take note of such a need.

Related Link: New tab (powerbi.com)

Here are some possible workarounds:

1. Please consider shortening the table name to fit the 1024 byte limit.

2. If you are unable to shorten the table name, you can use an alias to reference the table in the SQL query.

3. If the table names are long because they contain many different types of data, consider splitting the table into multiple smaller tables with shorter names.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi
Otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.