Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

portnerr

Power BI Get Data using Powershell

Power BI and Powershell - might be a duplicate.  I do not think I was signed in properly on the first post.

I am reasonably new to Power BI.  I am trying to invoke PowerShell from Power BI.  I do not see it as a data source in the get data list.  I am trying to use PowerShell to get data/work items from Microsoft Service Manager for metrics reporting.

I have a Powershell script the queries data from Service Manager and exports it as a comma delimited Flat file that I was able to "get data" from that file into power BI manually.

I can find no articles/information on just invoking a PowerShell from Power BI which seems like a straightforward thing to do using Microsoft products. . 🙂

Does anyone know of a "clear" reference on how to do that.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @portnerr ,

the answer is, unfortunately, quite simple - you can't invoke Powershell from inside Power BI / Power Query.

Here I started to describe a solution I'm currently building:

The Power BI Service Admin - mapping the hive - Mincing Data - Gain Insight from Data (minceddata.in...

An essential part of this solution is also Powershell, but it is not invoked by Power BI.

For this reason, you have to re-think your solution, create data using Powershell, and then use Power BI to pick-up the data.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Cibersmurf
Regular Visitor

NOT TRUE.... You can run powershell inside PowerQuery Using R/Frames and pull data directly into powerbi.
https://tinylizard.com/using-powershell-data-source-power-bi/

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @portnerr ,

the answer is, unfortunately, quite simple - you can't invoke Powershell from inside Power BI / Power Query.

Here I started to describe a solution I'm currently building:

The Power BI Service Admin - mapping the hive - Mincing Data - Gain Insight from Data (minceddata.in...

An essential part of this solution is also Powershell, but it is not invoked by Power BI.

For this reason, you have to re-think your solution, create data using Powershell, and then use Power BI to pick-up the data.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks Tom!  Not the answer I wanted, but it is what it is.  I did think about using 2 steps.  Run the script, import the data, but wanted it to be one process.  Oh well.  Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.