Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Dataflow Connectivity Issue (Power BI Premium Per User Workspace) - Error Message

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for a solution for my problem and I hope, you can help?

My colleague has a Power BI Premium licence and has created a dataflow in a Power BI Premium Per User workspace. She added other colleagues with Pro Licences, but only some of them can see the dataflow as an available data source in Power BI Desktop. Others can see the workspace when selecting "dataflow" as the data source option, but the dataflow isn't available for selction. 

One colleague with dataflow connectivity issues tried to open an existing report with a live connection to the dataflow via PBI Desktop and got the following error message: "We encountered an error while trying to connect. Details: "Looks like we're unable to access the dataset. Please contact the owner of the dataset.""

laugro_0-1709036534201.png

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? It seems weird because some Pro users can see the dataflow and other Pro users cannot although they are all part of the same workspace.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, 

thanks for your reply but sadly it didn't solve the problem. 
Although all users have "admin" roles they still can't see the dataflow when trying to connect it as a data source:

laugro_0-1709107907499.png

Sorry, it's in German but: Where the red line is, it should list the dataflow from the workspace but it's not there. 

Also, I think that you cannot give access to dataflows like you're giving access to datasets. My colleague who created the dataflow with the Premium License didn't specify to give me permission but I am able to connect the dataflow: 

laugro_1-1709108146015.png

It seems that the people who have a Pro License can only view reports in this specific workspace as a preview and cannot download it etc. and also cannot see the dataflow when trying to connect it. 
People that have a free license with a trial Pro license can view reports "normally" and can also connect to the dataflow.

I hope that was understandable? Thanks again for your help. 

v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your description, here are a few suggestions that may help you solve the problem.

1. Check the user's access rights in the workspace. Different roles in the workspace have different permissions, please make sure the user has the corresponding role. For detailed information, please refer to the document: Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn.

2. Check the permissions of the semantic model. Users with the Administrator or Member role in a workspace can explicitly grant permissions to other users using the Manage Permissions page. For detailed information, please refer to the document: Semantic model permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Learn.

3. Check the credentials. Make sure the credentials used have permission to access the data flow. For detailed information, please refer to the document: Configure and consume a dataflow - Power BI | Microsoft Learn.

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Kishore_KVN
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous along with providing access to the workspace ask your colleague to provide the access for that particular dataset as well. This will solve your problem.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly. Thank You!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.