Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Roshan_Pradhan

Power BI Color Coding

I have created a dashboard with pie chart on it, i have cretaed the pie chart with 5 categories. There were 5 colors assigned and then when i am trying to change the data and see the dashboard the colors shift. Please refer the below snap for example.

Roshan_Pradhan_0-1714990133537.png

Please provide a way out so that the color coding remains same even if any category have 0 values or is Blank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Roshan_Pradhan ,

If possible, replace the blank value with 0 to keep the original style, you can refer to the following picture:

Blank Value:

vtianyichmsft_0-1715050557162.png

vtianyichmsft_1-1715050565423.png

0 Value:

vtianyichmsft_2-1715050612602.png

vtianyichmsft_3-1715050625932.png

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Roshan_Pradhan ,

If possible, replace the blank value with 0 to keep the original style, you can refer to the following picture:

Blank Value:

vtianyichmsft_0-1715050557162.png

vtianyichmsft_1-1715050565423.png

0 Value:

vtianyichmsft_2-1715050612602.png

vtianyichmsft_3-1715050625932.png

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Roshan_Pradhan 

To ensure that the colors remain consistent in your pie chart even when some categories have zero values or are blank, you can manually assign colors to each category using the "Data colors" option in Power BI. Here's how you can do it:

1. In Power BI Desktop, select the pie chart visual on your dashboard.

2. In the "Visualizations" pane, select the "Format" section (paint roller icon).

3. Scroll down to the "Data colors" section.

4. By default, Power BI automatically assigns colors to categories. To manually assign colors:
- Toggle off the "Automatic" option.
- Manually assign colors to each category by clicking on the color box next to the category name and selecting a color from the palette.

5. Assign colors to each category based on a consistent color scheme that you prefer.

6. After assigning colors manually, the colors will remain consistent regardless of changes in the data, such as zero values or blank categories.

By manually assigning colors to each category, you ensure that the color coding remains consistent even when the data changes. This approach allows you to maintain visual consistency in your pie chart across different datasets.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.