Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sunside
Regular Visitor

Possible to add header data (such as filters) to Power BI data exported to Excel?

My Power BI report has the user selecting some filters/slicers and then exporting a table visualization as an Excel csv.

Is there any way to include the filters/slicers as some kind of header information in the exported file, so that the user later can easily see what the data is based on? Or any other method of achieving something comparable?

Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.

2 REPLIES 2
sunside
Regular Visitor

After looking into this a bit more, it looks like some header functionality exists, but is inconsistent or arbitrarily missing:

* The web version allows exports to .xlsx that include a header row that lists filters the report is formed from ('visualization' filters, anyway, not page or report level filters understandably). However, if one of the filters is a date datatype, then this header row does not appear in the export, regardless if other filters have been used.

* I can't get any headers to appear when exporting to Excel in the desktop version (which also only exports as .csv files).

Hi @sunside,

As you said, we can only export data to .csv file in desktop without headers. If you want this feature be added in future release, you can submit this idea at this page

In PowerBI service, we can get a header row that lists filters selected by users in .xlsx export. In my test, selections from slicer, visual filter, page filter and report level filter are all available to be exported as a header. Also, this feature works fine to date type.

If you have any other question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.