Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Kimber
Helper I
Helper I

Passing filter value to tooltip from matrix that doesn't use the filter value

The subject risk level columns (LA, Math, Sci, SS) are included in this matrix by 4 separate calculated measures applying a DAX filter on 'MyTable'[Subject]. I don't know if there's a better way to do it. The result is that there's no Subject filter for the matrix.

When a person hovers over the math column, I want the tooltip to show only the math courses a student is enrolled in. When hoving over Sci, only science courses, etc. I can't figure out how to make that happen. I welcome any suggestions! Kimber_0-1715983519522.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Kimber
Helper I
Helper I

I was able to achieve what I needed to do by using my original matrix and creating multiple tooltips, one for each subject level. I set each tooltip to be associated with its corresponding measure, and then set Tooltips to "auto" on the matrix page.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Kimber
Helper I
Helper I

I was able to achieve what I needed to do by using my original matrix and creating multiple tooltips, one for each subject level. I set each tooltip to be associated with its corresponding measure, and then set Tooltips to "auto" on the matrix page.

Kimber
Helper I
Helper I

Specific to the student in their current grade. I don't care about their IEP, dual language status, etc in the student's previous grades. The main matrix shows students in their current grade. The tooltip shows all of the courses each student has taken in their current and previous grades.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Create a shadow copy of your data for the custom tooltip page. use TREATAS to project some of the drillthrough filters (like Math Risk level"  but not others (like Overall Score)

You may want to consider unpivoting your source data first.

Thank you very much! If I understand you correctly, I should create a new table that contains the student schedule data, unpivoted. The structure of this table would be

Student IDSubjectCourse Title
1MathAlgebra
1ScienceBiology
2EnglishAmerican Literature
2Social StudiesEuropean History

Is that correct? Can you give me an example of the measure I would write to pass Math to the tooltip when hovering over the math column in the matrix?

Please provide sample data that fully covers your issue.
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

My data source 'RiskLevelData':

Student IDGradeTermSubjectCourseTitleLA Risk LevelMath Risk LevelSci Risk LevelSS Risk Level
073210S1SciBiology 1Off TrackOff Track Off Track
073210S2SciBiology 2Off TrackOff Track Off Track
07329S1LAWritingOff TrackOff Track Off Track
073210S1LAAmerican LiteratureOff TrackOff Track Off Track
07329S1SSEuropean HistoryOff TrackOff Track Off Track
07329S2MathGeometryOff TrackOff Track Off Track
072811S1MathAlgebra 1Behind 0.5Off TrackBehind 0.5Behind 0.5
072811S2MathAlgebra 2Behind 0.5Off TrackBehind 0.5Behind 0.5
072811S1LAWritingBehind 0.5Off TrackBehind 0.5Behind 0.5
072811S1SciAstronomyBehind 0.5Off TrackBehind 0.5Behind 0.5

My report:

Kimber_2-1716237194441.png

When hovering over LA Risk Level for Student 0732, I expect to see:
Student 0732

Grade 9  S1 Writing

Grade 10 S1 American Literature

Would this be an appropriate representation of your source data?

lbendlin_0-1716239552474.png

Then you can do a tooltip that works when hovering over the column totals.

lbendlin_1-1716241337717.png

Thank you! That almost gets me to where I need to be. The problem is that I have a few more columns I need to include on the report, so that it looks like this: 

Kimber_0-1716244771676.png

Using your file, I was only able to make the additional fields be repeated under each subject: 

Kimber_1-1716245078692.png

Is there a different approach I should take? I'd attach the edited file, but I don't see a way to do that. I really appreciate your help!

Are these fields specific to the student, or the student and grade?

They're specific to the student in their current grade. The matrix shows each student's current risk level in each subject and overall. The tooltip shows all the courses the student has taken. I don't care whether or not they were in ELL, IEP, Dual Lang or AVID in previous grades.

I found that if I put the student IEP, AVID, Overall Risk Score, etc as rows, I can get the layout I want. But then I lose my ability to conditionally format, which is essential to this report. It doesn't seem like it should be this hard. 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.