Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dinoscool3
Helper I
Helper I

Out of Memory Error - Managing multiple datasets

So a bit of a weird problem herre. I have a large number of queries that I'm importing into power BI. Currently I have about 600 queries so far that I've merge into 12 tables. I disable load on all the other queries and just use the 12 tables. My final number of queries will be about 3000-4000. These queries are imports from a forum software called Discourse, I use a Blank Query that links with SQL data stored there.

I've been running into problems with memory, Power BI was running slow but now I can barely open the file and any time I try to refresh I get an Out of Memory error and it crashes. It seems to be overusing both memory and CPU. I'm currently using a Windows 365 with 4 core CPU and 16gb memory but I'm planning on upgrading to the 8 core and 32gb memory asap. But is there something else I can do to prevent these crashes or use less memory and CPU?

Here's an example of the query I use if that's helpful:

= (queryID) => let
        resultCount = 1000,
        otherNameForPage = 0,

GetPage = (otherNameForPage) =>
            let
                content1 = "params={""page"":""" & Number.ToText(otherNameForPage) & """}",
                RawData = Json.Document(Web.Contents(
                    "https://test.com/admin/plugins/explorer/queries",
                    [RelativePath=Number.ToText(queryID) & "/run",
                        Query=
                        [
                            params="{""page"":""" & Number.ToText(otherNameForPage) & """}"
                        ],

Headers = [ 
                        #"api-username"="XXX",
                        #"api-key"="XXX",
                        #"Content-Type" = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"],
                        Content = Text.ToBinary(content1)
                    ]

) ),
                resultCount = RawData[result_count]
            in
                if RawData[result_count] = 0 then null else RawData,
            Pages = List.Generate(
                () => [i = 0, RawData = GetPage(i)],
                each [RawData] <> null,
                each [i=[i]+1, RawData = GetPage(i)],
                each Table.Combine(let raw = [RawData] in List.Transform(raw[rows], each Table.FromRows({_}, raw[columns])))),
            Output = Table.Combine(Pages)
in
    Output

Basically it allows me to import SQL tables that are written in Discourse.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dinoscool3 I would recommend using Power BI dataflow, processing the data in dataflow, and then using it in Power BI. I have worked with some complex/heavy transformations in the past where desktop just gave up but dataflow was awesome to work with.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dinoscool3 I agreed, saving dataflow is painful and Microsoft is aware of it, and I hope it allows to save dataflow without validation, when that features comes out, it should be good. You are on the right path. Cheers!!

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dinoscool3 it is pretty much PQ but in the cloud, you should be able to use it pretty easily, here is the link Introduction to dataflows and self-service data prep - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dinoscool3 I would recommend using Power BI dataflow, processing the data in dataflow, and then using it in Power BI. I have worked with some complex/heavy transformations in the past where desktop just gave up but dataflow was awesome to work with.

I;ve marked this as accepted solution, because it is in a way but it seems Microsoft has a probelm with saving data flows. It takes forever for the query validation to happen. I've been sitting for 2 hours so far waiting for the import of my 800 tables to save. So it works, it just might be too slow right now unless Microsoft fixes it. 

Regardless, thanks! 

Interesting, hadn't thought of that before. Any good documentation that I can look at to get started?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.