Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ICTJZT
Frequent Visitor

Numeric range parameter not being read correctly when trying to create a new column

Hi 

I am trying to use a numeric range parameter to create a new column.  I've been pulling my hair out because it looks like PowerBI is just reading the parameters as blank. See below the first screenshot where all I try to do is make the column equal to one of the parameters. I can't for the life of me figure out why the column is blank?! Second screenshot shows the report where I have the parameters.

Some more details. I have three parameters, ShiftYear, ShiftMonth and ShiftDay. My hope had been to combine these parameters together and compare to the start and end dates in my data to calculate some metrics of interest. These metrics change depending on what day you're looking at so I figured a new column that changes dynamically based on user input would be the way to go rather than having a new column for every possible day.

ICTJZT_0-1701733834601.png
ICTJZT_1-1701733905935.png

3 REPLIES 3
ICTJZT
Frequent Visitor

Not sure if this will help anyone help me. I just tried doing it slightly differently. I made a measure that is absolutely definitely the datetime that I want and set the new column equal to that date. The datetime in the new column is 0 but it keeps any times I add on. So it's definitely reading the measure but just doing something super strange?!?!?

ICTJZT_0-1701752285623.png

ICTJZT_1-1701752390646.png

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @ICTJZT ,

Here's why you're seeing blank:

• While you can use a measure in a  calculated column or table,  the result does not respond to the slicer selection. It updates only upon data refresh or when the referenced column  or the formula itself is modified.
  • SELECTEDVALUE function that is used in the generated parameter measure returns blank if there are more than one values. There are more than one values because, as stated in the reason above, your measure does not respond to the slicer selection. Each row your calculated column reads your measure as BLANK.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Hi mate

I've tried refreshing the data and using SELECTEDVALUE multiple times but am still having the same issue.

What do you mean when you say there are multiple values? Each parameter only has one value.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.