Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

My tooltips for drill-through message gone

Hi guys,

For some strange behaviour, my tooltips which usually have an info of "Right click to drillthrough" is gone in Power BI Service.

admin_xlsior_0-1620197649667.png

I still can see that message in Power BI Desktop, but after publish is gone. I still can right click and see the Drill-through option in right click menu though.

What may caused this ? Please advised.

Btw, is there a setting for the font color actually? because it is fixed to "grey" then we have no choice than to have very dark or plain white for our tooltip background.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

This problem has been fixed, have you found it?

--In Service

v-lionel-msft_0-1623220078221.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

This problem has been fixed, have you found it?

--In Service

v-lionel-msft_0-1623220078221.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lionel-msft 

Yes, sorry I did not notice earlier as I was in other project. Fixed, thanks for your support 😀

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

I have reproduced your problem and have reported it. If there is news, I will let you know in time.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Hi @v-lionel-msft 

I was about to reply to you as well actually. I just tried to update my PBI Desktop to current May 2021.

This is only for curiosity because I really cannot use version after Sep 2020, but then realized even if it is a bug, there is no way to fix this bug with version August 2020, should be in future released.

But yeah maybe as you already reproduced, maybe same as me as below:

admin_xlsior_0-1620899103729.png

This is using PBI Desktop May 2021. 

And after published, here is in PowerBI.com

admin_xlsior_1-1620899388092.png

I tried to open in 2 browser, Chrome and Explorer with cache cleared.

Thanks

Hi @v-lionel-msft 

I'm sorry, just want to ask, when you said it is being reported, is there any place where I can check the status as well? So we both can help each other to follow up this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

Only our internal tool can see the progress of the issues, as soon as the problem is fixed, I will notify you.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

I didn't reproduce your problem. I guess it may be caused by the PBI Desktop version. Have you tried to test this problem with the latest version?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Hmm.. I'm not sure about the version either because it was ok before. One thing I remember before the message missing is when I played around on the Tooltips page. So I created a new page for tooltip and at that time, after choose Page info -> Tooltips to Yes, then change the Page Size to custom (and make it smaller that time, which is a stupid plan). Then I realized the message is gone. After swith back to Page size -> Tooltip, the message still not showing.

The bad news is, it is affecting all of my visual that having drill-through, like the simple bar chart. So all other visual with Drill-through capability (appeared on its right click menu), all the tool tips is without message "Right click to drill trough"

Problem is in Power BI Desktop, even with my current version (August 2020) still show, only after Publish then in PowerBI.com, it is without the message. 

Tried to clear cache in Options & settings also not helping.

I found this ->

Power BI drill through, powerful, but hard to find, Until now! – Data – Marc (data-marc.com)

Especially this paragraph ->

admin_xlsior_0-1620817473762.png

Means it is lost ? Need to create all over again in a new report ?

😓

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1620369913047.png

Is "Right click to drillthrough" a text box on the custom tooltip?

What's your Power BI Desktop version? Do you mind providing a sample .pbix file with this problem?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Hi,

No, it's not a textbox, it supposed to automatically appeared after we create a page with specifying field for drill-through key. And it was there before, but suddenly now disappeared.  

I did clear my browse cache, but haven't got time for the "Inspect " from Dev tool yet. Anyway it is a Tooltip, it is when you hover your mouse, not "stay" in the Card it self.

PS: Sorry, forgot a few thing actually (and a bit important), the image I depicted is actually has a "Transparent" column chart, infront of my card visual. That is the one which show the tooltip, and it was showing the "Right click to drill trough". And as mentioned, currently when I right click, still the menu Drill-trough available, so the "transparent" column chart still intact and infront of the Card visual, only its tooltips missing the drill-through message. Sorry to forgot this, I was realized after @v-lionel-msft ask me about PBI version. And I'm using Augus 2020 version because there is a limitation in my "other" system that forced me to use older version.

Thanks,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@admin_xlsior , One thing you should do is clear the browser cache and try.

Then on few browsers, you can use the dev tool(browser -Inspect a portion) to check if you can see if you still have that "right click to drill through" in the menu

Hi @amitchandak 

Regarding your advice, may I know where to check exactly by using Dev tools -> Inspect ? 

Since this is also a tooltip when we hover mouse, means it has no fixed object to search with, but to be honest I have no ideas what to search in there.

My try out so far is quite concerning since even in a new browser, that message didn't appear. Then I tried to create a new report and create a simple bar chart then create its Drill through page. I can see the message in the tooltip of that bar chart in my Power BI Desktop new report, but when publish to PowerBI.com, found there is no message in there. Tried to publish to different workspace, also same. 

I am not sure what is the cause then... seems the tooltip is gone forever. 

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.