Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sdc
Helper I
Helper I

Multiple date fields on one report

I have one data set which contains data for multiple months and would like to add two bar charts beside each other for a quick comparisson (this month vs last month, see screenshot):

sdc_0-1601477001443.png

The problem is when one date range is changed it affects both graphs, how can I couple each date filter with each graph so that I can only see the data filtered by that date filter?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @sdc ,

Try modifying EDIT INTERACTIONS for your charts.

Consider following report page: I have got a MONTH filter here on the right.

Pragati11_0-1601478631011.png

Now suppose I want this filter to work only on the 3rd Table from left, I can modify it's interactions as follows:

1. Click on MONTH slicer
  2. Under FORMAT options on the top ribbon, select Edit Interactions Pragati11_1-1601478751868.png

3. Once you click on edit interactions you will see following: Pragati11_2-1601478805846.png

4. Now you see 2 icons on the top right of all the 3 tables.
  5. Click on circular icon to stop that table visual from getting filtered from the MONTH slicer.

Once that is done, 1st and 2nd tables from left, don't get filtered on selecting values from the MONTH slicer as shown below:

test1.gif

So if you see the above GIF, only the 3rd table is getting filtered from the SLICER, not the other 2 from the left.

Apply similar kind of edit interactions in your case for both the slicers.

For more details on Edit Interactions refer following:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-reports-visual-interactions

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @sdc ,

Try modifying EDIT INTERACTIONS for your charts.

Consider following report page: I have got a MONTH filter here on the right.

Pragati11_0-1601478631011.png

Now suppose I want this filter to work only on the 3rd Table from left, I can modify it's interactions as follows:

1. Click on MONTH slicer
  2. Under FORMAT options on the top ribbon, select Edit Interactions Pragati11_1-1601478751868.png

3. Once you click on edit interactions you will see following: Pragati11_2-1601478805846.png

4. Now you see 2 icons on the top right of all the 3 tables.
  5. Click on circular icon to stop that table visual from getting filtered from the MONTH slicer.

Once that is done, 1st and 2nd tables from left, don't get filtered on selecting values from the MONTH slicer as shown below:

test1.gif

So if you see the above GIF, only the 3rd table is getting filtered from the SLICER, not the other 2 from the left.

Apply similar kind of edit interactions in your case for both the slicers.

For more details on Edit Interactions refer following:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-reports-visual-interactions

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Yes that does it, thanks a lot. 

One last question on the date filters, how to make it so that one filter always starts on the current month and the other on the previous month like so.

sdc_0-1601481882581.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.