Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

camocarrot
Frequent Visitor

Modified Microsoft Gantt Chart 2.2.3 is not Displaying Information

Hi,

Due to a large number of tasks needing to be displayed on Microsoft's Gantt Chart, initially, I had an issue displaying them all. I received guidance on how to resolve this, by modifying the capabilities.json section making up the .pbiviz import file.

Following the instructions detailed in the Power BI documentation (Understand data view mapping in Power BI visuals - Power BI | Microsoft Learn), under the Data Reduction Algorithm section, I added this addition to both the "categories" subsection under "categorical", and the "group" subsection under "values". I used the "top" algorithm setting, setting the count to the top 5000 rows as a start.

In addition to this, I changed the GUID in both the package.json file, and the file in the resources folder, using a GUID generator online. For good measure, I changed the version number in both files to 2.2.3.1, to differentiate it from the original in Desktop.

I had no issues importing this modified visual into Desktop, however, when using it, no visual is displayed.

camocarrot_0-1666704225924.png

Is there any additional changes that need to be made to those files that I missed, or have I made too much changes to display this visual correctly? Assistance would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
v-yinliw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @camocarrot,

The comment area of this link may helpful for your question.

Visual Awesomeness Unlocked – Gantt chart | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yinliw-msft,

Thank you for your response. I went to the link, and I don't know if I'm missing something, or if I didn't drink enough coffee this morning, but I don't really see any comment area.

Hi @camocarrot ,

I'll take a screenshot for you to see if it helps:

vyinliwmsft_0-1666771570479.png

vyinliwmsft_1-1666771591255.pngvyinliwmsft_2-1666771613640.png

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yinliw-msft,

Thank you for the screenshot.

I gave the solution a try, thinking it might be the name of the field used as the charts' Task, but that didn't solve the issue.

Using the original Gantt Chart, without any edits made to the source code, results in the proper output, just with the max task number being reached. It's this number that was modified.

Hi @camocarrot ,

Did you turn on the "Group Task" under the General or off?

Best Regards,

Hi @v-yinliw-msft,

When working with the modified Gantt chart, it doesn't provide the Visual --> General Tabs either:

camocarrot_0-1666774084865.png

However, having the "Group Task" option set to "On" is necessary, given the desired output; this output is produced using the original Gantt chart:

camocarrot_1-1666774271087.png

Hi @camocarrot ,

It looks like your visual has no error, only no data. Could you please check your data source which version is 2.2.3.1, whether it has some data?

Best Regards,

Hi @v-yinliw-msft,

I triple checked, and yes, the fields making up this visual definitely has data associated with it.

camocarrot_0-1666775744344.png

None of these fields are composed of entirely blank values either. Both the modified and original Gantt charts make use of the same fields, from the same data source (they're in the same file as well).

Hi @camocarrot ,

Could you check the column in your data:

vyinliwmsft_0-1666777298087.png

Some columns if you choose the Don't summarize, will not show in the visual.

Best Regards,

Hi @v-yinliw-msft,

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that for next time.

However, for now, I changed the way these columns are summarized, and no difference was observed. To be clear, this chart has four fields, two of which are text (Under Task and Parent), and the other are datetime fields (Start Date and End Date).

Hi @camocarrot ,

Have you tried to not to change the version to 2.2.3.1, what happened if you use the 2.2.3 version? And use the name to differentiate it from the original in Desktop.

Best Regards,

Hi @v-yinliw-msft,

If I use the original 2.2.3 version of the Gantt Chart, the visual itself looks great! However, I run into the initial issue I had, in that not all the necessary datapoints are displayed, as there're simply too many.

And if I make my edits to the source code, but leave the version number untouched, at 2.2.3, I have the same result as the initial modified version.

Hi @camocarrot ,

Could you please try the TOPN function to get the first 5000 rows data?

Use this to get a new dataset?

Best Regards,

Hi @v-yinliw-msft,

That's certainly an option, but really, I'd prefer limiting my data as a last resort; if I could find a way of representing all my data points in the chart, that'd be perfect!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.