Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

HabibAdil
Helper IV
Helper IV

Missing values in calculated date column

Hi All,

Please can someone help why I am getting missing values in the calcualted date column (Next Calibration Date)?  I am using 

IF(ISBLANK(Gauge List[Last Calibration Date]),BLANK(),DATEADD(Gauge List[Last Calibration Date],Gauge_List[Calibration Frequency (Months)],MONTH))

The Last clibration date is also calcualted column from transcation table using MAXX and works fine.

Thanks, Habib

Next Cal Date.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @HabibAdil ,

the problem with DATEADD is, that it only returns values that exist in the mentioned column. It works well if you have a full and complete calendar, but not in cases like this.

You can either just use the DATE function and add the month to the calculated date:

Next Calibration Date = 
IF(
    ISBLANK( 'Gauge List'[Last Calibration Date] ),
    BLANK(),
    DATE( YEAR( 'Gauge List'[Last Calibration Date] ), MONTH( 'Gauge List'[Last Calibration Date] ) + 'Gauge List'[Calibration Frequency (Months)], DAY( 'Gauge List'[Last Calibration Date] ) )
)

Or you could already use AddMonths functiono in Power Query: 

Date.AddMonths([Last Calibration Date], [Calibration Frequency (Months)])

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Arentir
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @HabibAdil ,

The DATEADD function return a table/value only if the date you return exist in the date table.

Here your date table only contains two values.

What you can do is create a date dimension that you will refer in your dateadd function. You can create a date dimension using CALENDAR or CALENDARAUTO for example

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @HabibAdil ,

the problem with DATEADD is, that it only returns values that exist in the mentioned column. It works well if you have a full and complete calendar, but not in cases like this.

You can either just use the DATE function and add the month to the calculated date:

Next Calibration Date = 
IF(
    ISBLANK( 'Gauge List'[Last Calibration Date] ),
    BLANK(),
    DATE( YEAR( 'Gauge List'[Last Calibration Date] ), MONTH( 'Gauge List'[Last Calibration Date] ) + 'Gauge List'[Calibration Frequency (Months)], DAY( 'Gauge List'[Last Calibration Date] ) )
)

Or you could already use AddMonths functiono in Power Query: 

Date.AddMonths([Last Calibration Date], [Calibration Frequency (Months)])

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Thank You!!! I used the Date function and it worked. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.