Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

shafiz
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft Teams Exploratory License Expiration

I have a power bi pro license. I setup an organization with around 20 people. They don't have any license except Teams Exploratory which is trail and says will expire on april, 2023 as well as Power Bi License will also expire on April, 2023. We use Teams as a day to day communication and file sharing. My questions are:

1. What will happen with Teams exploratory if power bi license expires and  subscription not renewed?

2. What will happen if Teams exploratory license expire but power bi pro license renewed ?

So, if I renew my power bi pro license, me and my team will be able to use teams exploratory as we are using now.

It would be kind of help if anybody help me to understand the scenario in simple language. Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
shafiz
Frequent Visitor

No body there to help me out of this situation 😥

View solution in original post

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shafiz ,

If the Teams Exploratory license ends and a user isn't immediately upgraded to a subscription that includes Teams, they lose access to Teams, OneDrive, and Sharepoint after a 30-day grace period. After another 30 days, the associated Teams, OneDrive, and SharePoint data is deleted. The user still exists in Azure Active Directory.

Once a new license is assigned to the user to enable Teams functionality again, all content will still exist if the user is added within the grace period time frame.

Whether or not you can use Power BI-related features in Teams, first you need to have a Teams license, and second, how much you use Power BI-related features in Teams is related to your Power BI license, and the use of these features is similar to that in Power BI Service.

Your team's teams exploratory license will not be updated with the renewal of your Pro license.

For more details, please refer to:

Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Types of licenses for Power BI business users - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Manage the Microsoft Teams Exploratory experience - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shafiz ,

If the Teams Exploratory license ends and a user isn't immediately upgraded to a subscription that includes Teams, they lose access to Teams, OneDrive, and Sharepoint after a 30-day grace period. After another 30 days, the associated Teams, OneDrive, and SharePoint data is deleted. The user still exists in Azure Active Directory.

Once a new license is assigned to the user to enable Teams functionality again, all content will still exist if the user is added within the grace period time frame.

Whether or not you can use Power BI-related features in Teams, first you need to have a Teams license, and second, how much you use Power BI-related features in Teams is related to your Power BI license, and the use of these features is similar to that in Power BI Service.

Your team's teams exploratory license will not be updated with the renewal of your Pro license.

For more details, please refer to:

Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Types of licenses for Power BI business users - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Manage the Microsoft Teams Exploratory experience - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

shafiz
Frequent Visitor

No body there to help me out of this situation 😥

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.