Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

crkf20

Matrix Visualization help

Im building an income statement as a matrix in Power Bi, I have my revenue items coming from a table that strictly has revenue by each product. I have my expense data coming from the GL that shows expense by each department. I have 2 fields that i want to add as rows where the user can break down into information that built up to the department level spend. So for R&D, i want them to be able to see "Travel, Software, Labor, etc." these fields are in the columns "L2 account Key" and "Leaf level" the problem that i have is that when i bring in these fields they are applied to all of the rows (Causing GL line items to appear under the revenue fields when they should only be for Expense fields) I only want to show these fields for the expense rows. So that the "+" symbol is only on rows that are applicable (Expense items) can someone help me figure this out?

3 REPLIES 3
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @crkf20 

Can you provide some sample data that doesn't include privacy and the output you expect?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

I cant provide sample data, but what this is what i can provide: 

crkf20_0-1714158321049.png

I have 3 levels here, notice how for the 2 I have broken out, (Total Revenue) and (G&A) they look correct. Issues occur when i pull in level 3:

crkf20_1-1714158405392.png

Level 3 has data in it for Non-recurring revenue, but Administration just has administration in it. I dont want level 3 applied to Administration under G&A I only want it applied to specific areas.

Furthermore the numbers that are populating to the right need to be based off of grouping from my GL. I only need these to be in certain fields. they should not be applied to revenue items. This view is correct for Finance: 

crkf20_2-1714158549923.png

This view is not correct for Hardware Revenue: 

crkf20_3-1714158577131.png

THere should be nothing showing up under hardware.

I need to figure out a way around this

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@crkf20 , In such case we have built additional entries to show the data where it is intended using an additional row in dimension or extended dimension

check how some of the custom calculations are adjusted

Power BI How to get the P&L formatting right: https://youtu.be/C9K8uVfthUU
Power BI How to get two columns format Profit and Loss Statement(P&L) right: https://youtu.be/WLg85yiMgHI
https://medium.com/microsoft-power-bi/power-bi-formatted-p-l-with-custom-sub-totals-and-blank-rows-e...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.