Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

joebax86
Frequent Visitor

Line chart showing Running total by Financial year and month

Hi,

I have looked at lots of posts about this and feel close but can't quite get how I want, my end goal is to get something that looks like this;

joebax86_0-1696435278322.png

I have lots of dates, with duplicates and have worked out a running total that 'resets' at a new FY start. Below is an example of how this looks;

DateMonthFinancial YearRT
1/5/21May20224
1/7/21July20227
1/8/21August202210
1/11/21November202213
1/5/22May20233
1/7/22July20239
1/8/22August202317
1/11/22November202318
1/5/23May20242
1/7/23July20246
1/8/23August202416

Running total is calculated as;

RT       = CALCULATE(
                   COUNT('Table'[ID]),
                   DATESYTD('Table'[Date], "04-30")

But the ouput im getting currently is as below (instead of a running total its just count by month);
joebax86_0-1696436539198.pngjoebax86_1-1696436554053.png

My assumption its something to do with the month field and how it interacts with the running total. When I replace this field on the x-axis with the date field I get the below, this is closer but as shown at the top I only want each month once.

joebax86_2-1696436724889.png

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@joebax86 You are almost there, as a best practice, add a date dimension in your model and use it for time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools. Check the related videos on my YT channel

Add Date Dimension
Importance of Date Dimension
Mark date dimension as a date table - why and how?
Time Intelligence Playlist

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@joebax86 You are almost there, as a best practice, add a date dimension in your model and use it for time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools. Check the related videos on my YT channel

Add Date Dimension
Importance of Date Dimension
Mark date dimension as a date table - why and how?
Time Intelligence Playlist

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.