Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sprbr0353
Frequent Visitor

Line chart for time series visualization

Hello, 
I am pretty new to powerBI, and I encountered a problem with plotting using the line chart. I have a dataset of time and another numeric variables. The time variable is on hourly basis and data looks like 2006-11-01 1:00:00 AM, 2006-11-01 2:00:00 AM, and so on for several years. After importing the data set, the time variable is recognized as Date/Time. My other numeric variable is in Decimal format.

However, when it goes for plotting using line chart, I cannot figure it out how to plot the numeric variable over years and in hourly basis. I am looking to have a chart like the attachment.

Capture.PNG

The problems I have: 1. The Time vatibale is not broken down into hours in date hierarchy

Capture.PNG

2. it only counts, sum, average, etc. but not the numeric value of the parameter on the plot.

Capture2.PNG

and, I already read a lot of topics on the forum and tries many of them but none of them worked for me. I have changed the numeric variable to "Don't summarized", and the data type for that is "decimal number".

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

how to plot the numeric variable over years and in hourly basis.

what would be the business benefit of doing this on a single axis?  It might make more sense to use a heatmap visual instead.

This is an example that I presented to figure out the problem. My real data set includes some other parameters and I want to see the trend of each over time and compare them all in one chart.

That sounds like you are trying to do too much. Create some mock-ups to see how much data you can meaningfully show.

I shows nothing at the moment. This is a pretty simple chart. I don't know why power BI does not find a solution for this case.

Have you considered using other tools like Tableau or QlikSense?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.