Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

zerosugar
Helper II
Helper II

Line Chart Cumulative Y-Axis Series Label?

Hi all, I'm working with a line chart to show Revenue Forecasts and Actuals over time. The revenue values are both recorded and forecasted quarterly. The first quarter of a forecast is known as Q0 and is equivalent to the actual of that quarter. Each quarter can have multiple forecasts (forecasts are based on scenarios, such as positive, negative, or neutral scenario). 

Here is an example of what my line chart looks like. You can see that there are "Actuals" and then forecasted values diverging off if it.

conditional_scenario_V1.PNG

My question is, can I add Series Labels to the line chart that show me the cumulative value of these lines (sans the Q0 value)? The default line chart Series Label option seems to only show me the name of the Series, which is not what I want. The Data Label option shows me the individual revenue point values, which is also not what I want. 

The only thing I've been able to do is use a tooltip to show me the cumulative forecast sum of all forecasts in the legend, but that's not quite what I want, because it requires the report user to hover over the visual to see those values. I would prefer if those values are on the chart itself, to make it easier for them to understand. Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @zerosugar 

According to your description, here are my understand for your question:

My question is, can I add Series Labels to the line chart that show me the cumulative value of these lines (sans the Q0 value)? The default line chart Series Label option seems to only show me the name of the Series, which is not what I want. The Data Label option shows me the individual revenue point values, which is also not what I want. 

Based on your description, you want to show the corresponding cumulative values in your line chart instead of the currently filtered values.If so, for this requirement, you will need to create your own measures to place on your Y-axis axis.
You can refer to this:

Solved: Line Charts with Cumulative values - Microsoft Power BI Community

Calculate Cumulative/Running Total In Power BI (c-sharpcorner.com)

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thank you for the reply! However, that is actually different from what I'd like to do. The lines themselves are fine as I don't want to show the running total. I want to show a Series Label. 

However, I don't want the Series Label to just tell me the name of the Series, I can already show that through the legend. I want the series label to give me the cumulative revenue of the Series. 

Say for example, a series called Forecast 1 has Revenue on the Y-Axis and Date on the X-Axis. Date is quarterly (3/31/22, 6/30/22, 9/30/22, 12/31/22, 3/31/23, ...). Say that there are 6 time series observations, starting on 3/31/22 as 100, then going to 110 on 6/30/22, and continuining on with the values 120, 130, 140, and 150, each for the next 4 quarters.

At the very end of that line, I want there to be a series label that says "750", which is the sum of all the series values. Or maybe it can say "50", to represent the difference between the end and start values of the series. Whatever it is, it needs to be a calculation. As far as I'm aware, all I see in Power BI is for the Series Label to be "Forecast 1", which is the Series Name. 

Is that possible in Power BI?

Hi , @zerosugar 

According to your description, do you want to display your calculated values in your line chart? At present, the corresponding Data Labels displayed in the line chart are the current values, and we cannot show other values when you are currently at the same time.

I'm sorry for your idea that can only be implemented in Power BI using tooltip.

You can go to the Power BI Idea website and come up with your own ideas for improving these visuals:

Ideas (powerbi.com)

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.