Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ScottBrown
Helper I
Helper I

Large Semantic Model - Inner/Outer Joins

Is there a good way to relationship modelling in Power-BI?

I am trying to mash up Dynamics GP Data and several external sources into a data warehouse putting it all in one Power-BI report as the "source of truth" data source/semantic model.

Since Power-BI does not do Inner/Outer joins-only in Power Query to merge queries and such,, I think I am stuck.

Trying to pass Sales Tables, Purchasing, and Invemtory.

Anybody have experience in modelling and trying to do inner/outer joins and no Inactive relationships?

4 REPLIES 4
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Power BI LOVES star-schema/normalized data versus denormalized data. I suggest bringing in your three fact tables (i.e. sales, inventory, purchasing) and making metrics from them work together in visuals through relationships with dimension tables and measures. http://powerbiwithme.com/2023/07/30/the-star-schema-edition/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Do you have a minute where I can show you our project - maybe in a quick Teams meeting?

I can ping you on Linked In if you have time for a short talk..

I believe I am running up against a relationship mapping issue - active vs inactive.

I am in meetings until about 7pm EST, but feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn and we'll see what we can do.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Do you have a minute where I can show you our project - maybe in a quick Teams meeting?

I can ping you on Linked In if you have time for a short talk..

I believe I am running up against a relationship mapping issue - active vs inactive.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.