Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrianForth
Frequent Visitor

LY Measure by week number

I'm having trouble pulling a LY measure for my fact table. I've checked a bunch of solutions on the forum, and tried the answers (SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR, DATEADD, etc.), but I'm not having any luck. My current measure defintion (below) appears to be giving this year's results, but only for the week of 12/31/2023, which I think is due to the fact that that week contains dates predominantly from 2024. I can think of two issues with my data that are pretty nonstandard that may be contributing: first, the data comes in weekly, and the client wants it by week number, so an entry from 1/7/2023 would be week 1, but 1/7/2024 would be week 2. The second potential issue is that the client also wants Totals to the left, so this is a calculated table with some peculiarities in that capacity, as well. The 'Dates' table is a date table with 1:* relationship to 'ProdMatrix'

Utilization (LY) =
VAR _lastyear = MAX(Dates[Year])-1
VAR _thisweek = MAX(Dates[Week of Year])
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    DIVIDE(SUM(ProdMatrix[Actual Billable Hours]),
        SUM(ProdMatrix[TotalHours]),0),
Dates[Year] = _lastyear, Dates[Week of Year]=_thisweek)

Sample File 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In my example i'm using the dates from Dates table and not from ProdMatrix table. That could be the problem.
If you need the starting date one your visual, add this column on Dates table.
In my examples I don't have data to 2022.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are welcome.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
_AAndrade
Super User
Super User

I didn't see it. I'm analysing your pbix file and if I'm seeing well in 2023 our data starts in week 8 and in 2024 you don't have data to this week.
So what result you expected with your formula? I write a simple measure to try find the actual hours of last year week and seems to works fine.

_AAndrade_0-1707927577746.png

Result:

_AAndrade_1-1707927603192.png

2023 Actual Hours:

_AAndrade_2-1707927628803.png

I tried your solution on my end, and it looks like the issue breaks down when using the "Week Starting" field, which causes LY results to be posted to LY dates:

BrianForth_0-1707931306840.png

In my example i'm using the dates from Dates table and not from ProdMatrix table. That could be the problem.
If you need the starting date one your visual, add this column on Dates table.
In my examples I don't have data to 2022.

It took some doing in Power Query to add the "Week Starting" column to the Dates table, since it's using that "Total" value in order to fake putting the total column to the left of the matrix, but I have done it!

Here's the breakdown of some data:

BrianForth_0-1707941890194.png

It looks like it's getting the proper results based on this information. Now I just need to figure out what data is being captured in the "Total" Utilization for LY.

Thanks for your help through this one!

_AAndrade
Super User
Super User

Do you have a calendar table in your model? It's much easier to calculate dates with a calendar table.

Yes, the 'Dates' table is a calendar table.

If you already tried Sameperiodlastyear and Dateadd without any  success it's difficult to help you more without analysing your pbix.

I thought it might be, which is why I included the sample file in my original post.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.