Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

louisquinet
Helper I
Helper I

Integrate Power BI in Sharepoint

Hello

In the online version from Power BI I can click on "File > Embed report < Sharepoint online" to get tge link that I have to use for Sharepoint. But in the application Power BI Desktop I cannot find this. Does someone know how to find it in the Power BI Desktop app?
Thank you in advance

Louis

This is the example of online Power BI

louisquinet_0-1707211379349.png

But in the Power BI Desktop app I cannot find it...

louisquinet_1-1707211498728.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @louisquinet ,

The general workflow is to create reports in Power BI Desktop and then publish them to Service to share with other users.
Publish from Power BI Desktop

If you want to make some simple edits to a published report, you can open the report and click the Edit button. Some more complex changes need to be edited on Desktop and republish to Service.

vcgaomsft_0-1707269293224.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Bipin-Lala
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @louisquinet ,

To embed a report on SharePoint Online, it is necessary to publish the report to Power BI Service first. Hence, you cannot find the option of Embed Report in Power BI Dekstop.

Basically, the Power BI Report you want to embed has to be hosted somewhere. A Power BI Desktop file is just a local file on your system, hence it cannot be embedded and has to be published first on Power BI Service.

You can read more about it here

Thank you very much for your answer.

Is it also possible to create a report on Power BI Service, so that it is hosted there and then edit it with Power BI Desktop? And if yes, how do I do this 🙂
Thank you!
Louis

Hi @louisquinet ,

The general workflow is to create reports in Power BI Desktop and then publish them to Service to share with other users.
Publish from Power BI Desktop

If you want to make some simple edits to a published report, you can open the report and click the Edit button. Some more complex changes need to be edited on Desktop and republish to Service.

vcgaomsft_0-1707269293224.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

Yes, generally, it's Power BI Desktop which is used for any development activities following which the reports are published to Power BI Service.

You can create reports on Power BI Service, but they have minimal features at the moment, especially the Get Data options where there are very few options for selecting a data source.

Create Reports in Power BI Service

Hence, creating the report in Desktop is recommended followed by publishing it to Service.

Thank you very much for your answer!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.