Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incremental refresh in SharePoint online

Hi All,

I have been trying to configure incremental refresh for my Power BI report which is connected to SharePoint online. I have configure the parameters range start and range and in my power query and filtered the date time column as required. When I upload in Power BI service the scheduled refresh fails throwing an error

"<pii>DataSource.Error: <pii>SharePoint</pii>: Request failed: <pii>The remote server returned an error: (429). (429 TOO MANY REQUESTS)</pii>. DataSourceKind = <pii>SharePoint</pii>."

So when I checked few discussions in the forum and found the parameters in service it is empty.

MannarMannan_0-1653414196591.png

Kindly help understand/ resolve tthis issue.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Rahul_910

Hi, please consider these points.

Be specific about the spelling; it should be 'RangeStart' and 'RangeEnd'

The datatype should be set as 'Date and Time'; only then will it be recognized as a parameter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ibendlin,

Thanks for the response.

You are correct. I am running it on a SharePoint list(s).  Totally i have connected 5 lists in the report.

List 1 contains more than 85000 items,

List 2 contains more than 10000 items,

List 3,4,5 contains less than 5000 items. 

I have configured incremental refresh in all the lists in the report. 

So does this cause too many API calls and is the SharePoint row limit issue is causing this?

Your immediate issue is too many API calls.  The row count issue will bite you later.

Try using ODATA queries instead.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Ibendlin,

I will check about ODATA queries and try with that. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That's not the problem. The problem is that you are bombarding the sharepoint with too many API calls.

Are you running this against a Sharepoint List? If so, how many rows are in that list?  Incremental refresh is usually only necessary when you have more than a million rows.  Sharepoint lists usually fall over when they have more than 5000 rows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.