Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

prad001
Frequent Visitor

Import Data using SQL Function and pass date&time(variable) dynamically

Hi PBI Community,

I have created a SQL Function which is saved in SQL DataBase. Now, I would like to use this SQL function to retreive the data via PowerBI. But, in order to use the function I need to pass a date and time. How can I pass a date&time dynamically to import the data. My plan is to pass a date via a slicer or a text box(whichever works). This date&time will be passed by the end user and will change depending on the user requirement.

The syntax to call the SQL function is:

Select * from dbo.sample('11/06/2023 2:53:00')

I would like to have pass this date&time dynamically by the end user who uses the dashboard. Depending on the date&time  passed, the query should run and retreive the data accordingly from the database. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@prad001 you cannot pass dynamic parameters when using import, only possible using the direct query as outlined in the document.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@prad001 check this blog post dynamic M parameters Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k - Thank you for your response. 

But, I still could not get the answer to my question. I would like to import data using SQL function. And the end user should be able to determine/pass the parameter. 

Select * from dbo.sample('11/06/2023 2:53:00')

In the above query, the date and time should be passed by the end user who uses the dashboard.

How can I implement this?

Thanks.,

Pradeep

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.