Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need some help for my first use of a slicer

Hello,

I have a page in a report that displays the content of 2 queries (CDQuery and WQuery) via 2 table visuals. They have the same column names. One of the column in each table is called "Location".

I have a third query (SitesQuery), that has 2 fields : SiteName and Manager.

"SiteName" is the same data as "Location".

One manager can manage several sites.

I would like to add a slicer visual to the page, that would contain the list of the managers. When we would select a manager in the slicer, it would display in the 2 table visuals only the lines that contain the sites that the selected manager manages.

I have tried by setting "Manager" in the field part of the slicer and adding in the data model the 2 following relationships :

From                                          To                                              Cardinality                   Cross filter direction

CDQuery(Location)               SitesQuery(SiteName)                  Many to one (*:1)                     Single

WQuery(Location)                SitesQuery(SiteName)                  Many to one (*:1)                     Single

Is it the way to go (I have left the cardinality and the cross filter direction by default..) in order to do what I want ?

For the slicer I have set the Style to Dropdown. What I don't understand is that I have the first value "Blank" and when I look at the content of SitesQuery, I don't have any row where RIB is empty, why is that ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This error may be caused by missing data in column SitesQuery of table SiteQuery. 

My sample is as below.

CDQuery:

vrzhoumsft_1-1681805665320.png

WQuery:

vrzhoumsft_3-1681805685672.png

SiteName:

vrzhoumsft_2-1681805673717.png

Data model:

vrzhoumsft_0-1681805646018.png

In my sample, column SitesQuery of table SiteQuery missed "L" and I could reproduce your issue.

vrzhoumsft_4-1681805812681.png

Please find your missing data and make up the data in SitesQuery.

For reference:

https://www.encorebusiness.com/blog/blank-value-in-the-power-bi-slicer-and-filter/

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This error may be caused by missing data in column SitesQuery of table SiteQuery. 

My sample is as below.

CDQuery:

vrzhoumsft_1-1681805665320.png

WQuery:

vrzhoumsft_3-1681805685672.png

SiteName:

vrzhoumsft_2-1681805673717.png

Data model:

vrzhoumsft_0-1681805646018.png

In my sample, column SitesQuery of table SiteQuery missed "L" and I could reproduce your issue.

vrzhoumsft_4-1681805812681.png

Please find your missing data and make up the data in SitesQuery.

For reference:

https://www.encorebusiness.com/blog/blank-value-in-the-power-bi-slicer-and-filter/

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.